Subject: sat bandwidth - astronomical money

From: kevin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:09:40 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I am interested in getting a few
2-8mbps satellite links with IP data(download-only) 
but have been quoted some astronomical prices.

I think the prices i have quoted are for symmetrical 
duplex use with earth station. (Intelsat, Eutelsat)

1, Is a 2mbps download only link still the same price in terms
of satellite bandwidth (Intelsat) as a 2mbps link used
for duplex downloading/uploading.)

ie. the company offering the service would buy 45Mbps of sat
bandwidth of intelsat which could be used uploading and downloading
and just use it for downloading or is their something I'm
missing.

(Apologises if this is a naive question - i am a newcomer to
satellites)

2, Anyone know where I can get low cost download-only sat links
in europe?

I would prefer to use an american company (cheaper) with
global coverage. (hopefully the dish wouldn't be to big)

3, How does HNS offer 400kbps DirecPC as such low cost - I can't
find anything like this for the money. 

Any help appreciatted

Kevin

---

From: "Bob Nobis (home)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:22:45 -0700

Does anyone on this list know the pricing and availability of IP encapsulators for sue with DVB QPSK/8PSK modulators for high speed (8 to 48Mbps) internet traffic over satellite?

Is there anything available at a price significantly under $5,000?

Bob