Subject: RE: Satellite Emulators

From: "Johnson, Gregory LCDR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:00:02 -0400

I have used with good success the Adtech SX-12 simulators.
(http://www.adtech-inc.com/products/sx.asp).  This is suitable for many
applications. I have also used a Black Box phone line simulator
(http://catalog.blackbox.com/BlackBox/Templates/blackbox/itemgroup1758guest.
asp?param=566&ig_id=1758&title=Analog+Phone%2DLine+Simulators&related=) for
cases where I have needed to simulate a dial-up satellite connection such as
through Inmarsat M.

LCDR Gregory W. Johnson
Ass't Prof. Electrical Engineering
President, CT/RI Chapter, AFCEA
 
USCG Academy
27 Mohegan Ave.
New London, CT 06320
 
860-444-8683

-----Original Message-----
From: Jackson, Gary [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 1:36 PM
To: Tcpsat (E-mail)
Subject: Satellite Emulators

I am part of a group building a proof-of-concept lab for some new
services. We are soliciting opinions about satellite emulators,
specifically with variable bandwidth, latency, jitter, and packet loss.
We have looked at the Shunra offering, and are also considering "rolling
our own". Are there any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Gary Jackson
Senior Network Engineer
Tectura Corporation
14205 S.E. 36th Street
Suite 200
Bellevue, WA 98006
(425) 957-4270

---

From: Luigi Rizzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 11:31:42 -0700

dummynet (which is part of FreeBSD) has been used by quite a few people
for this purpose. See http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/
or a recent version of FreeBSD (e.g. FreeBSD 4.5)

	cheers
	luigi
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------
  Luigi RIZZO, [email-masked]  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
  Mobile   +39-347-0373137
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------