Subject: [Teas] I-D Action: draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 07:01:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and Signaling WG of the IETF.

        Title           : The Use Cases for Path Computation Element (PCE) as a Central Controller (PCECC).
        Authors         : Quintin Zhao
                          Zhenbin (Robin) Li
                          Boris Khasanov
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          King Ke
                          Luyuan Fang
                          Chao Zhou
                          Boris Zhang
                          Artem Rachitskiy
                          Anton Gulida
	Filename        : draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases-04.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2019-07-04

Abstract:
   The Path Computation Element (PCE) is a core component of a Software-
   Defined Networking (SDN) system.  It can compute optimal paths for
   traffic across a network and can also update the paths to reflect
   changes in the network or traffic demands.  PCE was developed to
   derive paths for MPLS Label Switched Paths (LSPs), which are supplied
   to the head end of the LSP using the Path Computation Element
   Communication Protocol (PCEP).

   SDN has a broader applicability than signaled MPLS traffic-engineered
   (TE) networks, and the PCE may be used to determine paths in a range
   of use cases including static LSPs, segment routing (SR), Service
   Function Chaining (SFC), and most forms of a routed or switched
   network.  It is, therefore, reasonable to consider PCEP as a control
   protocol for use in these environments to allow the PCE to be fully
   enabled as a central controller.

   This document describes general considerations for PCECC deployment
   and examines its applicability and benefits, as well as its
   challenges and limitations, through a number of use cases.  PCEP
   extensions required for stateful PCE usage are covered in separate
   documents.

   This is a living document to catalogue the use cases for PCECC.
   There is currently no intention to publish this work as an RFC.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/