Subject: Re: [TERNLI] Notes from tonight's ad hoc

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 21:33:35 -0700

catching up...perhaps this point is made later in the thread...

On Jul 28, 2006, at 4:43 AM, Mark Allman wrote:

>  The real thing to get across is the available
> capacity has changed somewhat dramatically.

I think you only want to give *hints* when things have gotten  
*worse*.  Giving hints that things have gotten better may mislead a  
sender to thinking that they know where the bottleneck is, etc.  A  
hint that available capacity may be reduced may encourage a sender to  
reduce their rate to avoid a packet loss (or something).

--aaron

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 07:18:07 -0700

Aaron Falk wrote:
> I think you only want to give *hints* when things have gotten *worse*. 

That presumes knowing what 'worse' is - which requires knowledge of what
the other layer is trying to do.

> Giving hints that things have gotten better may mislead a sender to
> thinking that they know where the bottleneck is, etc. 

Let's not decide 'worse' or 'better'. "Changed" is enough; let the other
layer figure out what the impact is, IMO.

Joe