Subject: [testlist] TMDA

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:31:30 -0700

All -

Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the modifications we put in for the server did in 
fact prevent a potential crash this morning, and allow us to find out 
what else, if anything, was going wrong.

The bad news is that we found out what else is going wrong, at it is TMDA.

A spam run this morning at 09:50 (why do spammers always seem to do 
things at :50 minutes after the hour?) totally flooded the IETF, causing 
services to start to slow down.  The run was targeted, of course, at the 
mailing lists, which meant, of course, that TMDA processes were being 
kicked off left and right.

In fact, at one point, we had 370 TMDA processes running. 
Simultaneously.  Not good.

For the moment, I have responded to this by taking TMDA back offline. 
We're back to the interim situation of using the spam filter expression 
catching that Jim Galvin set up.  Working group chairs, please be 
advised to watch your queues.

Henrik has already developed a modification of his TMDA wrapper that 
uses locking; however, he stated that he hadn't had time to test it to 
his comfort level, and we deferred it in the event it would be needed.

Since it now seems to be needed, he and I will be working together to 
get that wrapper online, and TMDA back in service, as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patience as we work to resolve this!

Glen
_______________________________________________
Testlist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mail.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/testlist