Subject: [testlist] IPV6 is off the hot seat! :-)

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:39:02 -0700

All -

An anonymous person has asked me to "exonerate IPV6 on the list."  :-)

IPV6, we love you, you are hereby acquitted of all suspicion!!!

My action last night was just precautionary.  Rather than leave it 
active, and risk potential problems, I suspended that access just for a 
bit until I could do further research and isolate the problem.  Didn't 
want to have a crash!

So to clarify, in case I somehow villified IPV6, the problem happened to 
be occurring on IPV6, but IPV6 was NOT the problem.  :-)

Thanks,
Glen
_______________________________________________
Testlist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mail.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/testlist

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 21:35:00 +0200

On May 21 2008, at 18:39, Glen wrote:

> the problem happened to be occurring on IPV6, but IPV6 was NOT the  
> problem.

I think this is a great anecdote -- and it has happened often enough  
here as well.

Since new stuff tends to come up in IPv6 instead of IPv4 more and more  
these days, new stuff that happens to break things can often be fixed  
by simply switching off IPv6!  Our staff here has "successfully  
solved" problems this way more than once, and we needed to remind them  
each time that "yes, we do need to be reachable by our IPv6  
correspondents, so please fix the underlying problem"...

I need an "how IPv6 broke my network" RFC I can point to...

Gruesse, Carsten