Subject: re: timing bounds for service restoration

From: "Anantha, Vic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:24:59 -0700

1> In section 5.4 of draft-team-tewg-restore-hierarchy-00.txt certain timing
bounds are proposed for service restoration. I was wondering if the design
team could give us a little more insight into how they arrived at these
numbers. I am assuming that the restoration mechanisms were broken up into
smaller chunks and an educated guesses were made about their timings.

2> Section 5.3 mentions the application requirements for restoration. I was
wondering if somebody could point me out to documents that specify a 140 ms
to 2 sec call cutoff time. This seems to be a longer time than mandated by
the 10+50 ms APS time in SONET, which seems to be a de-facto standard in the
industry.

Vik

---

From: Jim Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:17:32 -0400 (EDT)

Does that hold for 4f-BLSR, and does switch in 4f-BLSR act as a
function of # nodes and diameter?  How does 10+50 ms apply to
practice?

And just where does that 10+50 ms come from, is that the time it takes for
"pop" to be noticed, the time it takes grandma to get mad and hangup?

I vote to make the requirement 40 ms, why shouldn't an intelligent
network with Gigs of Memory, Mips galore and baked silicon outperform
10 year old SONET technology?  But practically... what is the
difference between 140ms and 40 ms (correct answer is not 100 ms :)

regards,

Jim