Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tewg-mib-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:08:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Traffic Engineering Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A Traffic Engineering MIB
	Author(s)	: K. Kompella
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tewg-mib-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 15-Oct-01
	
This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management
Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in
the Internet community.  In particular, it describes managed objects
for Traffic Engineered Tunnels, for example, Multi-Protocol Label
Switched Paths ([1], [2]).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-mib-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tewg-mib-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-mib-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:28:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Brian Haberman wrote:

> Kireeti,
>      May I ask as to why you are not using the InetAddress TC that is
> defined in RFC 2851 and updated in draft-ietf-ops-rfc2851-update-01.txt?
> I see no reason in this MIB to create your own Internet Address
> identifier.

I'm happy to hear that.  Tell me how to have hop addresses
that are one of the following types: IPv4 addresses, IPv6
addresses, AS numbers (2 & 4 octets), and unnumbered interface
indices, and I'll be happy to reuse as much existing mechanism
as I can.

Thanks,
Kireeti.

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:06:19 +0200

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Brian Haberman wrote:

>> Kireeti, May I ask as to why you are not using the InetAddress TC
>> that is defined in RFC 2851 and updated in
>> draft-ietf-ops-rfc2851-update-01.txt?  I see no reason in this MIB
>> to create your own Internet Address identifier.

>>>>> Kireeti Kompella writes:

Kireeti> I'm happy to hear that.  Tell me how to have hop addresses
Kireeti> that are one of the following types: IPv4 addresses, IPv6
Kireeti> addresses, AS numbers (2 & 4 octets), and unnumbered
Kireeti> interface indices, and I'll be happy to reuse as much
Kireeti> existing mechanism as I can.

I agree with Brian that you should be using the InetAddress TC
definitions. It is unclear to me who an AS number can identify a "hop
address" - so its kind of hard to tell what the right solution is.
(Perhaps some text should be added to the document which better
explains the tunnel endpoint concept you are using.)

There are some more SMIv2 issues. For example, the teTunnelName should
be not-accessible. It does not make sense to make it
accessible-for-notify so that it can be included in notifications
since the value of the teTunnelName will be automatically part of the
instance identifier of the tePathName parameter. I also suggest to not
use IMPLIED. Also, some objects should probably use Unsigned32 instead
of Integer32 (assuming that e.g. negative bandwidth does not make
sense).

/js