Subject: One question about topology change in optical networks

From: "Haisang Wu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:38:26 +0800

Hi, all:
  I need some kind advice and help in Optical Traffic Engineering. 

  In MPLmS Traffic Engineering, underlying resource can be adjusted 
so as to allow providers to change a network topology in response 
to changing traffic patterns. In this case routers or other devices 
that need to interoperate are connected in many ways. It's a bit 
like a highway system where you can add and remove roads at will.
  My question is, has this approach been deployed in ISPs or has any
R&D been conducted on this? Where could I find some articles about
related algorithms and methods?
  Thank you very much .

Best
Haisang 

  ___________________________________________________
    Haisang Wu 
    CERNET Center      Central Mainbuilding     
    Tsinghua University  Beijing  100084  P.R.China 
    Tel: 86-10-62785814-525(O) 
    Email: [email-masked]
  ___________________________________________________

---

From: Tricha Anjali <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:15:38 -0400 (EDT)

Haisang,
My colleagues and I have a paper that addresses a similar issue for the IP
networks. We detail a policy for LSP setup which is traffic-driven. You
can obtain the paper from
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~jau/QoS-Project/index-publications.html

Tricha Anjali 

> related algorithms and methods?

Tricha

------------------------------- 
Tricha Anjali
Broadband & Wireless Networking Lab
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~tricha/

---

From: Lily Cheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:11:07 -0400

Hi,

We have an internet draft discussing "dynamically configure optical
layer topology" for Traffic Engineering. It is a compliment to TE,
as it assists TE to make most effient use of the network topology
by laying out a better topology first.

The paper can be obtained from

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cheng-network-engineering-framework-01.txt

Thanks,
Lily Cheng