Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-owens-te-network-survivability-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 07:11:48 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Traffic Engineering Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Network Survivability Considerations for Traffic 
                          Engineered IP Networks
	Author(s)	: K. Owens, V. Sharma, M. Oommen, F. Hellstrand
	Filename	: draft-owens-te-network-survivability-03.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 14-May-02
	
Network survivability refers to the capability of the network to 
maintain service continuity in the presence of faults within the 
network [1]. This can be accomplished by recovering quickly from 
network failures quickly and maintaining the required QoS for existing 
services. With the increasing sophistication of network technologies, 
survivability capabilities are becoming available at multiple layers, 
allowing for protection and restoration to occur at any layer of the 
network. This makes it important to: scrutinize the recovery features 
of different network layers, understand the pros and cons of performing 
recovery at each layer, and assess how the interactions between layers 
impact network survivability. With these objectives in mind, this draft 
examines the considerations for network survivability at different 
layers of the network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-owens-te-network-survivability-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-owens-te-network-survivability-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-owens-te-network-survivability-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.