Subject: RE: Current TE practices

From: "BJ Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:01:03 -0400

Stanislav,

The following draft describes one aspect of "common" TE practices 
- use of TE metric for constraint based routing (CBR) computation.
It does not talk about a lot of other TE aspects though.

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-te-metric-igp-00.txt

The excerpt from the abstract: 

   "This draft describes a common practice on how the existing IGP 
   Metric can be used as an alternative metric to the TE Metric for 
   Constraint Based Routing of MPLS TE Tunnels. This effectively 
   results in the ability to perform Constraint Based Routing with 
   optimization of one metric (e.g. link bandwidth) for some TE Tunnels 
   (e.g. Data Trunks) while optimizing another metric (e.g. propagation 
   delay) for some other TE Tunnels with different requirements (e.g. 
   Voice Trunks)."

Cheers,
BJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Florian-Daniel Otel [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 2:34 AM
To: Stanislav Rost
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Current TE practices

Stanislav,

Last time I checked (aprox. one yr. ago) there were a couple of drafts describing current TE practices. IIRC one was from Global Crossing
(*gasp*) and one was from Level3. Other than that I am not aware of any, others might correct me if I'm wrong.

I wish you best of luck in trying to get ppl share their operational 
experiences on this list, I've tried the same several times in the past...;) 

Florian

Stanislav Rost writes:
> Gentlemen,
> 
> How would one familiarize himself with the current best-of-breed 
> Traffic Engineering practices?  I am interested in all phases of 
> traffic engineering, from measurement to topology reconfiguration.  I 
> am particularly interested in the techniques which are currently in 
> use...
> 
> I have read a number of TE-related papers in recent conferences, but I 
> have a feeling that many ISPs employ different methods.  Care to shed 
> some light on the issue?
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> 
> --
> Stan Rost
> Networks and Mobile Systems Group
> MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
>

---

From: Jennifer Rexford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:36:15 -0400 (EDT)

> traffic engineering, from measurement to topology reconfiguration.

You might be interested in these two papers that describe ways to
perform traffic engineering in the context of traditional (non-TE) IP
routing protocols.  The papers focus on OSPF/IS-IS and BGP, respectively:

  Anja Feldmann, Albert Greenberg, Carsten Lund, Nick Reingold, and
  Jennifer Rexford, "NetScope: Traffic engineering for IP networks,"
  IEEE Network Magazine, March/April 2000, pp. 11-19.
    http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/ieeenet00.ps
    (see also http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers.html#ipte 
     for aspects related to measurement and configuration)
   
  Nick Feamster, Jay Borkenhagen, and Jennifer Rexford, "Controlling 
  the impact of BGP policy changes on IP traffic," May 2002.
    http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/bgpte.ps

-- Jen