Subject: [ietf-tls] Re:London

From: "David Mowers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:12:08 -0700

Hi,

No comments at this time. Microsoft has several groups implementing
SSL/TLS for wireless technologies and we need to mull over these ideas
for a bit.

Thanks,
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 12:04 PM
To: IETF Transport Layer Security WG
Subject: [ietf-tls] Re:London

David, 

Thank you for your thoughts on the dns_name extension.  Do you have any 
comments/plans for the other extensions (which were previously referred 
to as wireless extensions)?  Your message only mentions dns_name which 
is one specific extension defined in draft-ietf-tls-extensions-00.txt. 

Nokia 
Mobile: (607)227-2933 
e-mail: [email-masked] 

-----Original Message----- 
From: ext David Mowers 
To: IETF Transport Layer Security WG 
Sent: 7/12/01 1:08 PM 
Subject: [ietf-tls] Re: London 

First, an introduction: I took over Program Manager responsibilities for
SChannel, Microsoft's implementation of SSL/TLS, last year. I work with 
John Banes, our principal Developer for SSL/TLS, in the Windows Security

team. As I settle into my position here at Microsoft, I am looking 
forward to taking a more active role in this working group and helping 
out where possible in the ongoing efforts to improve TLS. 

Back to the issue: It's hard to predict when Microsoft will implement 
and deploy the dns_name extension although it is getting a very close 
look. I don't think that incrementing the version number will have much 
of an effect either way, though, so don't let that turn into a blocking 
issue. 

Deploying this change in the context of HTTP over TLS (HTTPS) is going 
to take some time. Changing the format of the client_hello message has 
historically caused lots of grief and various compatibility problems. 
There are a lot of internet servers out there and just testing against 
them all is a very large effort.=20 

I think this change is worth doing, but it is going to take some time. 

David Mowers 
Program Manager 
Windows Security 

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked]

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]