Subject: [ietf-tls] Re: London

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 2001 14:20:30 -0700

"Joseph Hui" <[email-masked]> writes:
> Maybe now it's a good time to bring up an issue of compatibility
> that may cause grief during the dns_name roll-out: 
> 
>    dsn_name-server     : dns_name-browser,     works;
>    dns_name-server     : non-dns_name-browser, doesn't work;
>    non-dns_name-server : dns_name-browser,     doesn't work;
>    non-dns_name-server : non-dns_name-browser, doesn't work.
> 
> IMHO, Microsoft can do lots of good to help mitigate the migration pain
> as we move onto the dns_name-servers:dns_name-browsers world, like
> launching the dns_name feature in IE server and browser simultaneously.
Actually, the situation is more complicated than this. In theory,
all of these should WORK. It's just a matter of whether name-based
virtual hosting will work. Of course, in practice many servers
may not accept the extended client_hello, but that's a bug in
those servers.

The only situation in which the dns_name client is required or
useful is when talking to a server which uses name-based virtual
hosting. It won't pay off to deploy such servers until suitable
clients are already ubiquitous.

-Ekr

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]