Subject: [ietf-tls] Straw poll on RSA-OAEP (Last call: AES ciphersuites for TLS)

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:52:31 -0400

I support draft-03 with PKCS#1 v1.5 for two reasons -- it is the right
technical solution and is the right way to update the specification.  I
do not support any broad changes in the padding scheme as an interim
change.   

On a technical basis, I support draft-03 with PKCS#1 v1.5 for many
of the reasons previously stated.

Of at least equal importance, I think that the implications of
changing the padding scheme are so broad that they should be implemented
not in an interim change, but during the next draft of TLS.  By making
these changes as part of the next draft of TLS, many of the potential
technical shortcomings could be addressed -- and a well thought-out
solution could be applied to all of the cipher suites.  Ideally, this
solution would not require the end users (e.g. owner's of web servers )
to have to start buying 2 web certs. instead of the current one.

Interim revisions should address interim issues or urgent
matters.  Significant changes such as this require the
greater deliberation, testing and peer review that comes with releasing
a new standard.

Thanks,
/jon

--
Jon Saperia		     [email-masked]
			     Phone: 617-744-1079
			     Fax:   617-249-0874
			     http://www.jdscons.com/

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]