Subject: [ietf-tls] Re: London

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jul 2001 08:47:39 -0700

David Hopwood <[email-masked]> writes:
> Can't the client simply re-connect if the server breaks (as least if it
> can determine that this was the reason for the breakage)?
This is the sticking point. Expect to receive a "handshake failed"
alert from the server for pretty much any failure.

> SSL/TLS client
> libraries already have to be designed in a way that allows them to
> re-connect, in order to implement "Server Gated Cryptography" (either
> the Microsoft or Netscape version, I can't remember which).
This isn't the same at all. In order to implement the retry you
suggest you would need to destroy the TCP connection and reinitiate.
You don't do that for either SGC or Step-Up.

What you propose requires logic in the client rather than in
the library.

-Ekr

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]