Subject: [ietf-tls] Re: Re: London

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 02:13:27 (NZST)

Bodo Moeller <[email-masked]> writes:

>SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 servers are required to ignore extra data at the end of
>the ClientHello message, 

The servers are required to ignore extra data, and implementors may even have
tried to implement this, but until clients come along which include extra data
it won't be possible to tell whether they handle this properly or not.  It may
well be that some widely-deployed server doesn't get it quite right, which will
cause serious deployment problems.

>TLS extensions can only be used in SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 ClientHello messages,
>not in SSL 2.0 CLIENT-HELLO messages.  While it is time to give up the actual
>SSL 2.0 protocol, the SSL 2.0 CLIENT-HELLO format still play an important role
>for protocol version negotiation, and handshakes usually start using this
>format.

Only Netscape does it, I've never seen IE start with v2 (in fact Netscape
always sends a v2 hello no matter what you do, even with SSLv2 turned off).
Given that IE doesn't send a v2 hello, I think it's safe to assume that
everything can handle v3 hellos.

Peter.

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]