Subject: [TLS] Request for advancement of draft-ietf-tls-ecc-11.txt

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:38:46 -0700

Russ,

The TLS WG is finished with draft-ietf-tls-ecc-11.txt. We request
that the IESG publish it as an Informational RFC.

Technical Summary:
This document addes Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) cipher suites
to TLS 1.0 and 1.1. These cipher suites have some technical advantages
over the currently defined RSA and DH/DSS cipher suites in terms of
key size and performance. This document does not entail any changes
to the TLS base specification.

WG Summary:
The WG was unable to achieve rough consensus on advancing this document
to Proposed Standard, due to concerns about IPR and some concerns about
complexity. The WG was able to achieve rough consensus on advancing
this document to Informational (following failure to achieve consensus
on proposed). Some concerns about complexity (in particular curve
negotiation) remain but overall feeling in the WG was that this document
was ready for advancement. 

-Ekr

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls