Subject: RE: [TLS] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-ecc-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:38:45 +0300

David Hopwood wrote:

> Some values have been used by SSLv3 and TLS implementations
> despite not being registered, and so should not be used for new
> assignments.  Perhaps IANA needs to be told that.
> 
> I remember that someone on this list had spent a lot of effort
> collecting all of the numbers that have been defined in draft
> documents, but I can't remember who (and there are hundreds of
> messages about number allocation in the archives).

Yes, IANA has been told :-) 

The list I collected was used as a starting point when the IANA
registry for TLS 1.1 was created.

To simplify transition to IANA-maintained registry, numbers used
in recent Internet-drafts (roughly defined as "at least discussed
during the past year") were marked as "Temporarily Reserved".  It
was assumed that any drafts older than that are permanently dead
and any numbers used in them don't need any special treatment. 

The exceptions are a couple of cases marked as "reserved to avoid
conflicts with deployed implementations" where I was aware of
implementations so widely deployed (mainly things in Mozilla/NSS,
OpenSSL or Internet Explorer) that re-using the same numbers for
different purpose would be a bad idea.

The lists are available from here:

http://people.nokia.net/~pasi/tls-numbers.txt
http://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-parameters

Best regards,
Pasi

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: David Hopwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:46:47 +0100

> different purpose would be a bad idea.

OK, good. That addresses the issue I was concerned about.

-- 
David Hopwood <[email-masked]>