Subject: RE: [TLS] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-ecc-11.txt

From: "Ari Medvinsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:21:49 -0700

So is there an ETA on when the ecc-11 draft will be updated with the
values for the informational RFC? 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bodo Moeller
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:07 PM
To: David Hopwood
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TLS] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-ecc-11.txt

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 02:45:07AM +0100, David Hopwood wrote:

>> I guess the ECC draft is the first post TLS1.1 document to go through

>> this process. My expectation is that these values will get assigned 
>> by IANA at some point in the RFC publication process. So I expect the

>> RFC when it happens to have the values filled in, but don't know at 
>> what time before that the values will get assigned.

> Some values have been used by SSLv3 and TLS implementations despite 
> not being registered, and so should not be used for new assignments. 
> Perhaps IANA needs to be told that.
> 
> I remember that someone on this list had spent a lot of effort 
> collecting all of the numbers that have been defined in draft 
> documents, but I can't remember who (and there are hundreds of
messages about number allocation in the archives).

It's here:

    http://people.nokia.net/~pasi/tls-numbers.txt

Pasi has compiled lists for ciphersuites, content types, handshake
types, alerts, client certificate types, and extensions.  These lists
come with an elaborate set of references and footnotes explaining what
is defined where.  (Various assignments are essentially only sample
values in old Internet Drafts -- something the the current ECC draft
avoids --, others are used in practice.)

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:15:16 -0700

> values for the informational RFC? 

Well, the I-D hasn't been approved by the IESG yet, so 
not for a while...
-Ekr