Subject: [TLS] regarding precedence of application data over other data

From: jimmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:19:19 +0530

Hi,

The note about application precedence states that:

"Note: Data of different TLS Record layer content types MAY be
        interleaved. Application data is generally of lower precedence
        for transmission than other content types and therefore handshake
        records may be held if application data is pending.  However,
        records MUST be delivered to the network in the same order as
        they are protected by the record layer. Recipients MUST receive
        and process interleaved application layer traffic during
        handshakes subsequent to the first one on a connection."

This was in draft 8, but in draft 9 onwards it's higher precedence for 
application data. But section 7.4.1.1 has

	"Since handshake messages are
        intended to have transmission precedence over application data,
        it is expected that the negotiation will begin before no more
        than a few records are received from the client. If the server
        sends a hello request but does not receive a client hello in
        response, it may close the connection with a fatal alert."

What exactly is the precedence of application data? and why was it 
changed from lower to higher precedence from draft 9 onwards?

On searching the archives i found a post from Eric dated 15 Dec 2004 
about the same thing, but he restated the note in his mail as 
"application data has lower precedence.." and called the other a thinko.

A clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
jimmy

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls