Subject: Re: [TLS] Moving forward on draft-ietf-tls-srp

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:27:37 +0100

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:34, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> > As already mentioned by Tom, client site validation of the group
> > parameters can be easily done
> > by comparing it to a fixed list in the client.
> That's not really validation: it's effectively a fixed set of system
> parameters--which isn't something, for instance, that the current
> DH cipher suites have.

Indeed but this compromise is there to allow storing a "verifier" 
instead  of the plain password in the server. This is an extra feature
not available in other protocols with similar functionality such as PSK. 
Depending on somebody's needs and the threat model, this extra feature 
can be crucial to overall security, and the cost of the inability to 
negotiate other parameters might be negligible.

regards,
Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls