Subject: [TLS] draft-housley-evidence-extns-00.txt

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:57:10 -0400

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-housley-evidence-extns-00.txt

I would like the TLS WG to be aware of this document.  Review is 
encouraged, and comments are welcome.

I would like to make a presentation about this document at the San 
Diego IETF so that the TLS WG can decide if this should become a WG document.

Thanks,
   Russ

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: David Hopwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 02:01:44 +0100

> encouraged, and comments are welcome.

What is the rationale for complicating TLS with this, when it seems as
though it could just as easily be supported at the application protocol
level?

-- 
David Hopwood <[email-masked]>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:39:36 -0400

David:

That is true, an application running on top of TLS could handle this 
feature, but then every application would have to do so.  By putting 
it into TLS, any application can easily be supported.  The alerts to 
mark the beginning and end were intended to allow applications to 
generate evidence for a portion of the application exchange, but 
these can be sent at the beginning and the at end of the TLS session 
to support arbitrary applications.

Russ