Subject: [TLS] draft-tuexen-dtls-for-sctp-00.txt

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:26:22 +0200

Dear all,

I would like to get some comments on draft-tuexen-dtls-for- 
sctp-00.txt. This includes

- technical comments
   We would like to use the TLS master secret to generate an  
additional shared secret which
   we would use at the transport layer (SCTP) for SCTP-AUTH. It was  
already brought up,
   that this is a layer violation (but a nice one) and the risk would  
be that multiple
   instances would do this, then these multiple instances would use  
the same key material
   which is definitely bad.
   How should we progress here? From an implementation point of view  
I see only a limited
   risk here, because we will modify the TLS implementation to  
generate the additional
   material and would provide to to SCTP via a socket option. So  
there is NOT API to the
   TLS user involved.
   Another point was to have something like a registry for the  
material generated. This
   would avoid two instances to use the same material. What about  
this? Is this a good or
   bad idea? How can we achieve this, if it is a good idea?

- procedural advises (Sam, Lars this is why you are CCed)
   Currently this document is an individual submission. How can it be  
progressed? Should
   it be taken to a WG? Which one? SCTP (including SCTP-AUTH) is  
handled in TSVWG and
   TLS is handled in the TLS WG. I'm not sure where DTLS was handled,  
if it was handled in
   any WG.

I think having DTLS for SCTP is important because it is needed by  
anyone using SCTP
with PR-SCTP or unordered delivery and wanting to have a TLS like  
security solution.
IPFIX is one example.

Best regards
Michael

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:26:15 -0400

>>>>> "Lars" == Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

    Lars> Hi,
    Lars> On Aug 28, 2006, at 12:26, Michael Tuexen wrote:
    >> sctp-00.txt. This includes - technical comments

    Lars> I think Sam is the one to handle these.

I thought this draft was briefly presented at the last TLS working
group meeting.  I thought that there were some general comments made
at that point.  I'd talk to the TLS chairs, and see how they want to
proceed.  If for some reason that discussion blocks then please
involve Russ Housley and I to unblock it.