Subject: [TLS] Document Action: 'DES and IDEA Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:14:10 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'DES and IDEA Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS) '
   <draft-ietf-tls-des-idea-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-des-idea-02.txt

 Technical Summary 

   TLS specification versions 1.0 (RFC 2246) and 1.1 (RFC 4346) included
   cipher suites based on DES (Data Encryption Standard) and IDEA
   (International Data Encryption Algorithm) algorithms.  DES (when used
   in single-DES mode) and IDEA are no longer recommended for general
   use in TLS, and have been removed from TLS 1.2 main specification
   (RFC 5246).  This document specifies these cipher suites for
   completeness, and discusses reasons why their use is no longer
   recommended.

Working Group Summary 

   This document review was non-controversial.  The longest discussion
   was on the use of SHOULD and MUST in an informational document.  

Document Quality 

   This document deprecates ciphers, removed from TLS 1.2, that are no 
   longer considered appropriate for general use. There is general 
   agreement in the security community that this is the right thing to
   do.     

Personnel

   Joe Salowey is the Document Shepherd, and Tim Polk is the
   Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

In section 7.1, please make the following substitution:

OLD:
   [TLS12]  Dierks, T. and E. Rescorla, "The Transport Layer Security
            (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2", RFC 5246, July 2008.
NEW:
   [TLS12]  Dierks, T. and E. Rescorla, "The Transport Layer Security
            (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2", RFC 5246, August 2008.

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls