Subject: [TLS] RFC 5378 and Draft Submissions

From: "Eric Rescorla" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:03:23 -0800

IETF Chair Russ Housley has asked WG chairs to apprise their WGs of
the following information.

If you've been following the IETF mailing list, you may be aware of
the ongoing discussion about the impact of RFC 5378 on revised draft
submissions. Briefly, RFC 5378 requires Contributors to grant a more
expansive set of rights than were granted by RFC 3978, and 4748. If
you are submitting a document which contains text contributed by
others prior to the publication of RFC 5378 you may need to obtain
additional rights from the
copyright holders of that text in order to contribute under the 5378
terms.

The IESG and the IETF Trustees are working to resolve those issues
(see
http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Background-to-Draft-Update-to-IETF-Trust-Legal-Provisions.txt).
However,
at present I would advise care prior to submitting any draft
which contains material derived from an RFC, draft, or mailing
list message published prior to November 10, 2008.
Speaking personally, I have chosen not to submit new versions
of most of my drafts until matters are resolved.

Please take any general discussion of RFC 5378 to [email-masked]

-Ekr
[As WG Chair]
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls