Subject: [TLS] Revised TLS Charter

From: Joe Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:53:29 -0700

Below is updated charter text reflecting feedback on the list.   Please indicate if you support this text or if you have issues with the text.  

Thanks,

Joe

The TLS Working Group was established in 1996 to standardize a
'transport layer' security protocol. The working group began with SSL
version 3.0. The TLS Working Group has completed a series of
specifications that describe the Transport Layer Security protocol
versions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2, extensions to the protocol, and new
ciphersuites to be used with TLS.

The primary goals of the WG are to maintain:
- The TLS protocol, RFC 5246;
- The DTLS protocol, RFC 4347bis.

Significant changes to the protocol, such as a new version 1.3, are not 
within scope of the working group unless they are explicitly added to 
the charter. 

The secondary goals of the WG are to publish:
- Recommendations for use of TLS;
- Extensions to TLS and DTLS; and,
- Cipher suites.

Milestones

Dec 2011  - Heartbeat Extension Sent to IESG

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:16:10 -0700

> - The DTLS protocol, RFC 4347bis.

s/RFC 4347bis/draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis/. That is, there is a specific WG draft we are talking about (particularly when the authors clear the three-month-old DISCUSS).

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Brian Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:59:30 -0700 (PDT)

Joe Salowey wrote:
> Below is updated charter text reflecting feedback on the list. Please
> indicate if you support this text or if you have issues with the text.

Are extensions that add/remove/reorder handshake records acceptable for TLS 1.2? If so, then I think the the proposed charter looks fine.

Thanks,
Brian