Subject: [TLS] associating a DTLS session with something else

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:25:03 +0100

Hello,
 I am looking on ways to associate a DTLS session with another TLS
session, so that a superserver will forward the DTLS session to the
handler of the TLS. As it is now there is not much one can do for
that.

* Some ciphersuites allow specifying a username as a hello extension
(e.g. SRP) which can be used to specify any identifier as the
username. However it is restricted to SRP and I don't want to use it.
* The PSK ciphersuites (which I'd like to use) allow specifying a
username on the clientKeyExchange message, but that's during the
handshake process and the superserver isn't supposed to perform the
handshake.
* Other similar solutions overload the SessionID field of the
clientHello and place the identifier there, but I find overloading
inelegant (even though it is a very simple solution).

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Are there any other
approaches to the issue? As it is now I'm more inclined into re-using
the SessionID overloading due to its simplicity.

regards,
Nikos