Subject: [TLS] Confirming Consensus: Negotiating upper layer protocols

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 15:28:40 -0800

TLS WG Members,

As discussed in Atlanta, we received a request from the HTTP WG
to work on the problem of negotiating the upper-layer protocol versions
(in particular HTTP 1.1 versus HTTP 2.0, but presumably we would
like a more general mechanism.)

There was strong consensus to work on this problem in Atlanta, as
well as strong support from our AD. This message is intended to
(a) confirm that consensus and (b) solicit proposals for discussion
in Orlando. Currently, we have two such proposals:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-agl-tls-nextprotoneg-04
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-friedl-tls-applayerprotoneg-01

We intend to have presentations on these (and any other proposals
that come in) in Orlando. Depending on list discussion and what
other proposals appear, we may attempt to select a proposal in
Orlando.

WG members, please provide any comments on whether we should
take this work on by February 21. Additionally, if you wish to propose
an alternative, it would be nice if you could do so soon or at least
provide an indication of interest.

-Ekr
[For the chairs.]

---

From: Adam Langley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 18:31:14 -0500

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:
> take this work on by February 21.

Unsurprisingly, perhaps, I support the WG taking this work on.

Cheers

AGL

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 16:30:41 -0800

> Unsurprisingly, perhaps, I support the WG taking this work on.

+1

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 11:43:09 +0000

> Unsurprisingly, perhaps, I support the WG taking this work on.

+1 (although I think we're not in agreement on which proposal should be selected)