Subject: [TLS] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6347 (4103)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 11:40:58 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6347,
"Datagram Transport Layer Security Version 1.2".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6347&eid=4103

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.2.1

Original Text
-------------

   [p. 15]            DTLS 1.2 server implementations SHOULD use DTLS
   version 1.0 regardless of the version of TLS that is expected to be
   negotiated.

   [p. 16]                                The server MUST use the same
   version number in the HelloVerifyRequest that it would use when
   sending a ServerHello.

   [p. 15]      DTLS 1.2 and 1.0 clients MUST use the version solely to
   indicate packet formatting (which is the same in both DTLS 1.2 and
   1.0) and not as part of version negotiation.  In particular, DTLS 1.2
   clients MUST NOT assume that because the server uses version 1.0 in
   the HelloVerifyRequest that the server is not DTLS 1.2 or that it
   will eventually negotiate DTLS 1.0 rather than DTLS 1.2.

   [p. 16]                 Upon receipt of the ServerHello, the client
   MUST verify that the server version values match.

Corrected Text
--------------
   [p. 15]            DTLS 1.2 server implementations MAY use DTLS
   version 1.0 regardless of the version of TLS that is expected to be
   negotiated, or the version that is expected to be negotiated.

   [p. 15]      DTLS 1.2 and 1.0 clients MUST use the version solely to
   indicate packet formatting (which is the same in both DTLS 1.2 and
   1.0) and not as part of version negotiation.  In particular, DTLS 1.2
   clients MUST NOT assume that because the server uses version 1.0 in
   the HelloVerifyRequest that the server is not DTLS 1.2 or that it
   will eventually negotiate DTLS 1.0 rather than DTLS 1.2.

   [p. 16] [Delete text relating to HelloVerifyRequest.server_version]

Notes
-----
The statements on the bottom of page 15 and on the top of page 16 are mutually contradictory. It looks like the statements on page 16 were copied from RFC 4347, but the intention was to replace them with the version from page 15 in this revision of the standard.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6347 (draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis-06)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Datagram Transport Layer Security Version 1.2
Publication Date    : January 2012
Author(s)           : E. Rescorla, N. Modadugu
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Transport Layer Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG