Subject: Re: [TLS] TLS Digest, Vol 122, Issue 60

From: Ryan Carboni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 14:15:52 -0700

>
> One can also gain credibility by breaking the ciphers of others, which
> provides a convincing argument that one understands the attacks and
> designed
> a cipher that doesn't fall to them easily.

Mr. Jenkins discovered some biases in RC4, and was one of the first to do
so.

---

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 05:23:44 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
> Mr. Jenkins discovered some biases in RC4, and was one of the first to do

I wouldn't even bother to reply that. He is well known in that field, and
this isn't a popularity contest despite what it is often seen as. Ciphers
nowdays get forward either because of international competitions organized
by cryptographers, or national standards bodies. Chacha is an exception,
because the CFRG adviced this working group to adopt it instead of the
proposed Salsa20 (which was in the estream cipher portfolio), on the grounds
that it the successor of it.

regards,
Nikos

---

From: Ryan Carboni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 02:30:20 -0700

Just noticed this email. I see.