Subject: [TLS] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC6347 (4105)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 12:20:55 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6347,
"Datagram Transport Layer Security Version 1.2".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6347&eid=4105

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.1.2.1

Original Text
-------------
                                                                      In
   DTLS, the receiving implementation MAY simply discard the offending
   record and continue with the connection.  This change is possible
   because DTLS records are not dependent on each other in the way that
   TLS records are.

   In general, DTLS implementations SHOULD silently discard records with
   bad MACs or that are otherwise invalid.  They MAY log an error.  If a
   DTLS implementation chooses to generate an alert when it receives a
   message with an invalid MAC, it MUST generate a bad_record_mac alert
   with level fatal and terminate its connection state.  Note that
   because errors do not cause connection termination, DTLS stacks are
   more efficient error type oracles than TLS stacks.  Thus, it is
   especially important that the advice in Section 6.2.3.2 of [TLS12] be

Corrected Text
--------------
See section 4.1.2.7.
[And merge the last two sentences above in section 4.1.2.7.]

Notes
-----
Some text is duplicated between 4.1.2.1 and 4.1.2.7, which my cause confusion or give rise to diverging updates in future revisions of this document.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6347 (draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis-06)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Datagram Transport Layer Security Version 1.2
Publication Date    : January 2012
Author(s)           : E. Rescorla, N. Modadugu
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Transport Layer Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG