Subject: [TLS] Include Speck block cipher?

From: Ryan Carboni <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 16:18:50 -0700

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speck_%28cipher%29

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 20:38:12 -0500

You’d have to make an AEAD construct out of it. TLS 1.3 is only doing AEAD-style ciphers.

--  
Principal Security Engineer, Akamai Technologies
IM: [email-masked] Twitter: RichSalz

---

From: Hanno Böck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 00:37:55 +0200

Am Sun, 5 Oct 2014 16:18:50 -0700

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speck_%28cipher%29

Quote:
"Speck is a family of lightweight block ciphers publicly released by the
NSA in June 2013."

Brilliant idea! We also should make the use of Dual EC DRBG mandatory
for key generation.

-- 
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: [email-masked]
GPG: BBB51E42

---

From: Joachim Strömbergson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 07:25:59 +0200

Aloha!

Hanno Böck wrote:
> Am Sun, 5 Oct 2014 16:18:50 -0700 schrieb Ryan Carboni
> <[email-masked]>:
> 
> Quote: "Speck is a family of lightweight block ciphers publicly
> released by the NSA in June 2013."

Even more importanyly - SPECK and SIMON (another new lightweight cipher
designed by NSA) has been found to be weak against differential
crypyanalysis:

http://eprint.iacr.org/2013/568.pdf

https://eprint.iacr.org/2013/543.pdf

Considering that NSA was able to design DES in the 1970ies to be
resistant to differential attacks, one almost have to wonder if a new
generation of NSA employess have forgotten what the previous generation
clearly knew about.

So, no: SPECK and SIMON should not be included in TLS. Not because of
the provenance, but because they are known to be weak/broken today.

- -- 
Med vänlig hälsning, Yours

Joachim Strömbergson - Alltid i harmonisk svängning.
========================================================================
 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          [email-masked]
========================================================================