Subject: Re: [TLS] AEAD only for TLS1.3 revisit

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 07:29:58 +0000

"Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]> writes:

>Stick with TLS 1.2 The new version doesn't meet the customer needs.  Stick
>with the old one. Yes, some customers will be upset at not being able to use
>the absolute latest standard. I'm not unsympathetic to that feeling, but my
>empathy only goes so far. :)

Unfortunately this doesn't work too well in practice, most industry standards
bodies/groups always want to specify the latest version of any crypto protocol
because, you know, it has a bigger number so it has to be more cromulent.
While this can prove quite lucrative (and I'm thinking of the number of
industry standards that mandated TLS 1.2 when next to no implementations were
actually available), it does mean that you can't escape having to support
every new protocol fashion statement that comes down the line.

(Hmm, come to think of it I never tried advertising TLS 1.2 when someone asked
for it but always falling back to 1.1, that would give "TLS 1.2" but still
interoperate with other implementations that hadn't got past 1.1).

Peter.

---

From: Hubert Kario <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 07:01:53 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Peter Gutmann" <[email-masked]>
> To: "<[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, 2 October, 2014 9:29:58 AM
> Subject: Re: [TLS] AEAD only for TLS1.3 revisit
> 

or advertising TLS1.3 but also no TLS1.3 compatible ciphers

(since they are incompatible with the use case in question)
-- 
Regards,
Hubert Kario

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:12:57 -0500

> (Hmm, come to think of it I never tried advertising TLS 1.2 when someone
> asked for it but always falling back to 1.1, that would give "TLS 1.2" but still

I'm shocked to hear that you never did that.

--  
Principal Security Engineer, Akamai Technologies
IM: [email-masked] Twitter: RichSalz