Subject: Re: [TLS] Rethink TLS 1.3

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:28:13 +0000

Nico Williams <[email-masked]> writes:

>Or, to put it differently, we need to state an Internet threat model
>succintly.

Exactly.  The Internet Threat Model is frequently referred to, but I have no
idea what it actually is.  AFAIK it's either:

  "I'm OK, you're OK, and the network is the problem".
  
a quaint relic from the 1980s that hasn't been relevant for 15-20 years, or
what I've referred to as the Inside-Out Threat Model:

  "The threat model is defined to be whatever it is that our crypto counters".

Neither of these are very useful.  In other words, we don't actually have a
threat model, just a cardboard cut-out that we point to and say "look, we
defend against that!".

Peter.

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 19:47:13 -0600

> what I've referred to as the Inside-Out Threat Model:

Yes, it's quaint.  It's also as best we can do, unless...

> threat model, just a cardboard cut-out that we point to and say "look, we

Tell us how to go from "we assume we have local security" to "we have
local security".  I'm all ears :)

Nico
--