Subject: [TLS] RFC 7366 and resumption

From: Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 15:44:46 +0100

Hi,

Unless I missed it, RFC 7366 does not say what should happen during
session resumption. So I checked what RFC 5246 has to say:

   In general, the specification of each extension type needs to
   describe the effect of the extension both during full handshake and
   session resumption.  Most current TLS extensions are relevant only
   when a session is initiated: when an older session is resumed, the
   server does not process these extensions in Client Hello, and does
   not include them in Server Hello.  However, some extensions may
   specify different behavior during session resumption.

It seems to me that RFC 7366 falls in the same category as "Most current
TLS extensions" above, ie is only relevant when a session is initiated,
and on resumption the server should ignore the extension and restore the
state from the saved session.

Eg: (Assuming a CBC ciphersuite is used.)
Initial handshake: client sends EtM ext,
                   server replies with EtM ext,
                   EtM is used to protect traffic.
Resumed handshake: client sends EtM ext + ticket/session ID,
                   server chooses to resume session,
                   server does not send back the EtM extension,
                   EtM is used to protect traffic.

For example, this is what RFC 6066 prescribes for the truncated_hmac
extension that is very similar in the way it works (except it lowers
security, while EtM strengthens it...), so it seems only logical to do
the same here.

But I thought it might not hurt to check, just to be sure.

Thanks in advance for any comment,
Manuel.