Subject: [TLS] Protocol Action: 'A TLS ClientHello padding extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tls-padding-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 14:27:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A TLS ClientHello padding extension'
  (draft-ietf-tls-padding-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-padding/

Technical Summary

   This memo describes a TLS extension that can be used to pad
   ClientHello messages to a desired size.

Working Group Summary

   This extension was originally introduced to work around a 
   particular vendor's issue.  Its deployment was successful. 
   Since then it has been found that this extension can serve 
   to alleviate issues with issues in several vendor's products.  
   There was good consensus to move forward with this 
   document as it may find further applicability in the future.  

Document Quality

  There are multiple interoperable implementations (web 
   browsers and web servers) of this extension deployed today.  
   It works well to solve the problem.

Personnel

  Document shepherd is Joseph Salowey
  The irresponsible area director is Stephen Farrell