Subject: [TLS] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6347 (5186)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 19:43:55 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6347,
"Datagram Transport Layer Security Version 1.2".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5186

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Chen Wumao <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.2.4

Original Text
-------------
[p17]                                                 In order to avoid
   sequence number duplication in case of multiple HelloVerifyRequests,
   the server MUST use the record sequence number in the ClientHello as
   the record sequence number in the HelloVerifyRequest.

[p17]                  In order to avoid sequence number duplication in
   case of multiple cookie exchanges, the server MUST use the record
   sequence number in the ClientHello as the record sequence number in
   its initial ServerHello. 

Corrected Text
--------------
[p17]                                                 In order to avoid
   sequence number duplication in case of multiple HelloVerifyRequests,
   the server MUST use the message_seq in the ClientHello as
   the message_seq in the HelloVerifyRequest.

[p17]                  In order to avoid sequence number duplication in
   case of multiple cookie exchanges, the server MUST use the 
   message_seq in the ClientHello as the message_seq in
   its initial ServerHello. 

Notes
-----
the "record sequence number" here should be message_seq.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6347 (draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis-06)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Datagram Transport Layer Security Version 1.2
Publication Date    : January 2012
Author(s)           : E. Rescorla, N. Modadugu
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Transport Layer Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 20:00:17 -0800

I'm pretty sure record_sequence_number is correct. The MSN is always 0 for
HVR and 1 for SH,

-Ekr