Subject: Re: [TLS] ESNI Android Implementation

From: Nick Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 13:34:15 -0800

Hi Justice,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome. At this point, another implementation
of draft-02 wouldn't hurt, but it also likely won't contribute much to the
development process for this document. We've learned what we can from -02
and the upcoming draft version will likely be radically different from the
existing published version, so you likely won't be able to re-use much
code. If it's possible for your schedule I recommend waiting or exploring
questions like how applications with different TLS stacks can get access to
ESNI records if they're fetched system-wide.

Nick

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 12:30 AM Justice Parham <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hello tlsWG,
>
> First I would like to introduce myself to you. My name is Justice Parham
> (github mrsylerpowers) a current Senior Undergraduate Student at North
> Carolina A&T State University. As my senior project I decided to create a
> android system wide implementation of the ESNI Draft. I am planning on
> implementing draft-ietf-tls-esni-02 because this is the version that
> cloudflare currently has published on their servers. I am planning on
> upgrading to newer versions of ESNI as more implementations come out on the
> server side
>
> My question to everyone is if creating this implementation will hurt or
> help this document? I would really like for this to be a standard that is
> used everywhere in every browser and in every computer. But I understand draft-ietf-tls-sni-encryption
> 3.4
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-sni-encryption-09#section-3.4>'s
> importance about not sticking out. Is there a time where vendors all plan
> to implement or do you think this is a perfect time to create this?
> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:39:50 +0000

Sorry, I had meant to reply to this but forgot...

> ESNI records if they're fetched system-wide.

I agree with Nick.

If you did want to play with draft-02 code on android,
then you could see if my fork of openssl [1] works. It
has support for drafts -02 to -04.

There is a CI setup that builds it for android but it
hasn't really been tested ever. Happy to help if that
was of interest.

Cheers,
S.

[1] https://github.com/sftcd/openssl/