Subject: [TLS] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tls-esni-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 08:02:51 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Layer Security WG of the IETF.

        Title           : TLS Encrypted Client Hello
        Authors         : Eric Rescorla
                          Kazuho Oku
                          Nick Sullivan
                          Christopher A. Wood
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tls-esni-09.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2020-12-16

Abstract:
   This document describes a mechanism in Transport Layer Security (TLS)
   for encrypting a ClientHello message under a server public key.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-esni/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-tls-esni-09.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tls-esni-09

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:13:22 +0000

Hiya,

I'd like it were this version to be aiming to be for
interop. But it refers to hpke-06 when hpke-07 was
published ~90 minutess before this.

So, if we do want interop for this, I guess it'd be
best to push out -10 before the holidays with a ref
to hpke-07? Or to just declare that the interop target
is esni-09 with hpke-07? Or, are we not aiming for
interop still?

S.

On 16/12/2020 16:02, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>

---

From: Christopher Patton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 08:20:00 -0800

Hi Stephen,

ECH-09 is meant to use HPKE-07, as declared in the body:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-tls-esni-09.html#name-encrypted-clienthello-confi

Although it looks the draft didn't get updated in the references somehow:

[I-D.irtf-cfrg-hpke] Barnes, R., Bhargavan, K., Lipp, B., and C. Wood, "Hybrid
Public Key Encryption", Work in Progress, Internet-Draft,
draft-irtf-cfrg-hpke-06, 23 October 2020, <
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-cfrg-hpke-06.txt
<https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-cfrg-hpke-06.txt>>.

Also, +1 for targeting ECH-09 for interop!

Chris P.