Subject: [TLS] TLS Manual: Call for contributions

From: Ben Smyth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 12:09:18 +0100

I previously announced a TLS manual, intended to ease readers into the most
recent specification. (At the very least, it helped me get to grips with
the spec!) I've now made the manual available on GitHub:

  https://github.com/BenSmyth/tls-tutorial/

I'm far from perfect and I'm sure the manuscript houses numerous
deficiencies.

Interesting aspects are omitted, because I didn't have the time, knowledge,
or expertise to add them. For instance, the specification hasn't been
entirely covered, as is documented; discussion of security guarantees are
notably lacking; and an introduction to the underlying cryptography is
absent. (E.g., some details on DHKE, AEAD, etc. would be grand.) Directions
for further exploration are missing, hands-on teaching opportunities
foregone. For instance, a Davies-style exploration of TLS on-the-wire, with
notes on Wireshark and SSLKEYLOGFILE---perhaps as dirty as readers can get,
without bursting-out soldering irons. Mistakes and issues are no doubt
numerous.

I encourage you to improve this manuscript. Fix a typo. Patch grammar.
Revise awkward, overcomplicated, or otherwise poorly-written passages.
Contribute an entire section. Help evolve the manual. (Perhaps get in touch
prior to writing an entire section! We should probably reach consensus on
what to add.) Contributions will be recognised through acknowledgements or
co-authorship.

Best regards,

Ben

---

From: Ben Smyth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 16:57:21 +0100

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 at 12:09, Ben Smyth <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I previously announced a TLS manual, intended to ease readers into the
> most recent specification...I'm far from perfect and I'm sure the
> manuscript houses numerous deficiencies.
>

Speaking of imperfections, I neglected to share a URL for a pre-compiled
PDF:

   https://bensmyth.com/files/Smyth19-TLS-tutorial.pdf

(Thanks to Chris for pointing that out.)