Subject: [TLS] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-tls-ticketrequests-07: (with COMMENT)

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 22:24:01 -0800

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tls-ticketrequests-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-ticketrequests/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some places in this document use "reuse", others "re-use".  I'm not sure which
one is right, but it should be consistent throughout.

In Section 3:

   A client starting a new connection SHOULD set new_session_count to
   the desired number of session tickets and resumption_count to 0.

Since it's only SHOULD, I'm curious about why an implementer might decide to do
something other than this.

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 22:40:57 -0800

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-ticketrequests/

Both are (or, rather, can be) correct, if you treat "reuse" is a noun and
"re-use" is a verb.

> something other than this.

IIRC there's not currently any other behavior that particularly makes
sense, but since we had some extreme contention about sending particular
combinations of values there was not much desire to attempt to nail this
case down.  (It also leaves some flexibility for potential future work,
though I'm not entirely sure what shape that would take.)

-Ben

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 22:50:26 -0800

> Both are (or, rather, can be) correct, if you treat "reuse" is a noun and

(It's hardly a major point, but since you said that...)

I thought that might have been the case so I checked before balloting.  In
all cases the word is preceded by "ticket", making it a noun.

-MSK