Subject: [TLS] Protocol Action: 'Connection Identifiers for DTLS 1.2' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tls-dtls-connection-id-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:02:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Connection Identifiers for DTLS 1.2'
  (draft-ietf-tls-dtls-connection-id-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-dtls-connection-id/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies the Connection ID (CID) construct for the
   Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) protocol version 1.2.

   A CID is an identifier carried in the record layer header that gives
   the recipient additional information for selecting the appropriate
   security association.  In "classical" DTLS, selecting a security
   association of an incoming DTLS record is accomplished with the help
   of the 5-tuple.  If the source IP address and/or source port changes
   during the lifetime of an ongoing DTLS session then the receiver will
   be unable to locate the correct security context.  An explicit CID allows
   for the DTLS association to persist across such address/port changes.

Working Group Summary

    The document is of interest to a subset of the working group 
    participants.  The participants are active and there is general 
    working group consensus behind the document.  

Document Quality

    The document has been reviewed by people implementing 
    the protocol.  There are multiple implementations of this 
    an earlier version of extension, and the current version has
    also been implemented.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Joseph Salowey and the responsible AD is Ben Kaduk