Subject: [TLS] progressing draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:58:22 -0400

Hi! While address the IoT Directorate comments from IETF LC, some addition comments have been received. I would like to address these new comments and get the I-D in the hands of the iESG. There were three set of comments:

1) Based on Daniels and David Benjamin’s reviews, the I-D is not as clear as it could be. The end result of deprecating MD5 and SHA1 is that signature_algorithms is always included; we should just say that. Chris has submitted the following PR to address this:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/pull/19
You will notice that the PR removes section 6 of the I-D; it is unclear how much utility there is in updating the NOTE.

We are looking to merge this PR at the end of next week so please submit any comments before then.

2) Hannes suggested that we remove the 7525 updates text now that 7525bis is underway. I submitted this issue to capture the issue:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/issues/17
Peter Saint-Andre (one of the 7525bis authors) has filled the following issue to incorporate the text from our I-D: 
https://github.com/yaronf/I-D/issues/245
Yaron has already merged the PR:
https://github.com/yaronf/I-D/pull/248
Chris has also kindly submitted this PR to remove the 7525bis-related text from “our" I-D:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/pull/18

Again, we are looking to merge this PR at the end of next week so please submit any comments before then.

3) Hannes also had some editorial suggestions, that I created issues for:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/issues/16
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/issues/15
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/issues/14
These are addressed in this PR:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/pull/20

These ought to all be non-controversial, so we will merge them sometime next week.

Cheers,
spt (as Shepherd)

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:39:36 +0000

I read all the PR's and issues.  They all look good to me.

Why does github do ".../pull/18" but ".../issues/12"?  Why aren't they both singular?  This will keep me up at night but is out of scope of this draft.