Subject: [TLS] Lars Eggert's Yes on draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Lars Eggert via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 04:59:32 -0700

Lars Eggert has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate-08: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

All comments below are about very minor potential issues that you may choose to
address in some way - or ignore - as you see fit. Some were flagged by
automated tools (via https://github.com/larseggert/ietf-reviewtool), so there
will likely be some false positives. There is no need to let me know what you
did with these suggestions.

Section 1. , paragraph 2, nit:
-    the end of 2013, based on both the Wang, et. al, attack and the
-                                               -
+    the end of 2013, based on both the Wang, et al., attack and the
+                                                  +

Uncited references: [CAB-Baseline]

Obsolete reference to RFC5246, obsoleted by RFC8446 (this may be on purpose).

These URLs in the document did not return content:
 * https://www.cabforum.org/documents.html

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 10:42:08 -0400

Alessandro has been on the ball and submitted PRs for these. See below.

> On Sep 20, 2021, at 07:59, Lars Eggert via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Addressed via:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/pull/27/files

> Uncited references: [CAB-Baseline]

Addressed via:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/pull/26

> Obsolete reference to RFC5246, obsoleted by RFC8446 (this may be on purpose).

It is on purpose ;) While 5246 is obsoleted it is not yet made historic and it’s still used A LOT.

> * https://www.cabforum.org/documents.html

This one gets fixed by removing the reference in:
https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/pull/26

Cheers,
spt