Subject: [Tm-rid] Terms defined

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 10:56:32 -0400

Here are some terms we have been using that will be documented in a 
yet-to-be published draft:

UA - Unmanned Aircraft

UAS - Unmanned Aircraft System - composed of Unmanned Aircraft and all 
required on-board subsystems, payload, control station, other required 
off-board subsystems, any required launch and recovery equipment, all 
required crew members, and command and control (C2) links between UA and 
the control station.

USS - UAS Service Supplier - USSs provide UTM services to support the 
UAS community, to connect Operators and other entities to enable 
information flow across the USS network, and to promote shared 
situational awareness among UTM participants. (From FAA UTM ConOps V1, 
May 2018)

UTM - UAS Traffic Management

GCS - Ground Control Station -  The part of a UAS that remotely controls 
the UA. It may or may not have a remote pilot directly manipulating the 
controls.

C2 - Command & Control

VLOS - Visual Line of Sight

BVLOS - Beyond Visual Line of Sight - The operation when the individual 
responsible for controlling the flight of the Unmanned Aircraft (UA) 
cannot maintain direct unaided (other than by corrective lenses or 
sunglasses, or both) visual contact with the UA, other aircraft, 
terrain, adverse weather, or obstacles to determine whether the UA 
endangers life or property or both.