Subject: [Tm-rid] operator HIP DNS RRs?

From: "Card, Stu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:16:03 -0400

Not just UA, but also USS = HDA, CAA = RAA, IANA, GCS and Operators need
HHITs, certs and HIP RRs.

All but the Operators can reasonably be construed as [sets of] hosts.

The Operator is more reasonably contacted via an email address and
identified using a NAI (RFC7542) which is already recognized by HIP (per
RFC7401 as a Domain Identifier (DI) type (RFC7401 HostID defined in section
5.2.9 on p. 54).

If we treat it as an email address, then the part after the "@" is a mail
domain, so we could look up a MX record, but my mail server knows nothing
of HIP (and shouldn't have my private key even if it were HIP aware).

So if we treat it as a NAI, is there some reasonable way to use DNS to get
a HIP RR for _me_ (not for any of my numerous hosts)? Perhaps taking a clue
from RFC7585? Perhaps it is a set of HIP RRs for any/all of my hosts
(keypairs) that I might use as my network endpoint? Even though other
people might use the same physical or virtual machine (but not same HI =
keypair)?

Similar issue will arise at some point for active objects / agents /
daemons w/URNs...

Thoughts, anyone?

---

From: "Card, Stu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:51:04 -0400

It just occurred to me that an Operator ID, where an operator is
responsible for several UA, each of which has a FQDN within the flat space
of a HDA, is somewhat akin to a NIC handle from the old days...