Subject: Minutes of TN3270e/TN5250e Interoperability Event, 6/1-6/3

From: Ed Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:33:13 -0400

Leaders in providing enhanced TN3270 and TN5250 client and server
implementations came together on 6/1-6/3 to test interoperability and continue
to pursue additional enhancements that add strength to Internet open standards
for access to SNA Applications on OS390 and AS400 platforms.  The event was
held at the IBM programming lab located in the Research Triangle Park, North
Carolina. Viewed as a big success by all who participated, this was the fourth
such interoperability event sponsored by the TN3270 Enhancements Work Group of
the Applications Division in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).

The attendees at this event were (alphabetical order):

Attachmate
Axis
Cisco
Eicon
Esker
FTP
Hummingbird
IBM
Intermate
OpenConnect
Praim
TransLink
Walldata
WRQ
Zephyr

Work Group co-chairs, Ed Bailey (IBM) and Michael Boe (CISCO) lead discussion
on the current efforts underway to enhance the protocol for Management (MIBs),
Security (TLS), and Service Location (Servloc, DNS).  Additional enhancements
discussed included:

 Keyboard Restore
 Unbind (Sense Codes)
 FMH (Print Handling)
 FF Doubling
 Load Balancing

A new TN5250e draft has recently been posted as well as a new Service Location
draft for TN3270e.

Additional information will be published on the list as progress is made. The
following actions were assigned:

Gene Pullen (OpenConnect) will author a draft to include the options for
KeyBoard Restore, and FF Doubling.
Paul Tykodi (Praim) will author a draft to include options for FMH handling for
print.
Michael Boe (CISCO) will author a draft to discuss the issues with load
balancing.

Robert Moore (IBM) and Ken White (IBM) will publish a revision to the
Configuration MIB and Response Time MIB drafts which will continue on workgroup
last call.

Michael Boe (CISCO) will publish a revision to the Security draft to include
code points and assignment.

The attendees all agreed that these interoperability events are very useful and
want them to be continued. The work group intends to continue having the events
as enhancements get established. The next event is anticipated to be in early
1999.

Ed Bailey
Advanced Design & Technology   (919) 543-7118
IBM Corp., RTP, NC
Internet: [email-masked]