Subject: 5250 Telnet Enhancements Draft

From: Jeffrey Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:52:41 -0500

Dave,

Good questions, to address them:

1)  With AS/400 TELNET server, several modes can be negotiated.  Among these
are:  1) VTxxx or 2) 3270 or 3) 5250 device or 4) Network Station.  Now, the
AS/400 TELNET server will create the desired device being negotiated at the
first opportunity it thinks it has all the attributes needed to create the
device.

For example, if you want Transparent mode (5250 device), then the moment
BINARY, EOR and TERMINAL-TYPE are negotiated the TELNET server will go create
the device.  Receiving any NEW-ENVIRON negotiations after that is done will
result in the negotiations having no effect on device attributes, as the device
has already been created.  So, for Transparent mode, NEW-ENVIRON negotiations
are effectively closed once the EOR is negotiated, since EOR is generally done
last.

For the case of the other devices types like VTxxx or 3270, you cannot be sure
when the AS/400 TELNET server will think it has all the attributes to create
the device.  Remember, the NEW-ENVIRON stuff is optional, and the AS/400 server
does not have to wait for them.  So it is in the clients best interest to send
those first, which would be before the TERMINAL-TYPE is negotiated for VTxxx or
3270 case.  That way, you can be sure your attributes got in before the device
was created.

2)  We will be expanding the description of the IBMRSEED exchange in an update
we are working on, and you question will be addressed at that time.  You are
correct in that the client reply is missing.  All the TN3270E list subscribers
are sharp folks!

Jeffrey Stevens - AS/400 TCP/IP (LPD/WSG/TELNET)
Work: [email-masked]    Personal: [email-masked]

---------------------- Forwarded by Jeffrey Stevens/Endicott/IBM on 03-20-98
03:48 PM ---------------------------

From: Dave Close <[email-masked]>
Organization: Pericom Software PLC
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:14:22 +0000
Subject: Re: 5250 Telnet enhancements
Sender: [email-masked]

I have a couple of comments about the draft "5250 Telnet
enhancements" dated 23 Feb 1998.

1)  Why is the Client reply to the IAC DO NEW-ENVIRON delayed until
after the TERMINAL-TYPE has been exchanged ?  Surely it would be
normal for a Client to send the  IAC WILL NEW-ENVIRON immediately,
before the IAC WILL TERMINAL-TYPE ?  íNB. Since this does not mean
that the IAC SB NEW-ENVIRON SEND ........IAC SE must be sent
immediately by the Server - it is the start of a new request.ù

2) (Page 11) The way the IBMRSEEDxxxxxxxx is illustrated conflicts
with the RFC1572 specification - the Client should be including
           USERVAR "IBMRSEEDxxxxxxxx" íVALUE ...ù
in the  IAC SB NEW-ENVIRON IS ........ reply ?

Cheers
Dave Close
Pericom Software PLC
The Priory, Cosgrove
MILTON KEYNES MK19 7JJ
Tel: +44 (0)1908 265533
Fax: +44 (0)1908 265534