Subject: Re: IOTP Net Locations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 17:03:06 -0500

Actually, isn't URI just the union of URL and URN?  All these pointers are
operational network locations that would change as servers/hosts/companies
change for oganizational or operational reasons.  In fact, it would not be
surprising for some of them to be temporary dynamically computed strings
with embedded transaction specific information.  URN's are supposed to be
for permanent names aren't they?  I don't quite see how that would apply to
any of these.  Isn't URL is more accurate?

Thanks,
Donald

>>PS:  How about replacing "NetLocn" with "URL"?
>
>I agree with this, or "URI", I suppose would also be accurate.
>
>-Kent.
>
>>
>>Donald E. Eastlake, 3rd
>>65 Shindegan Hill Road, RR#1, Carmel, NY 10512 USA
>>Internet: [email-masked]
>>Notes: Donald Eastlake/Hawthorne/IBM@IBMUS
>>1-914-784-7913, fax: 1-914-784-3833, 1-914-276-2668(home)

>...
>___________________________________________
>Kent M. Davidson, VP of Advanced Technology
>Differential, Inc.
>direct (408)864-0604
>fax    (408)864-0601
>mailto:[email-masked]
>http://www.differential.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:51:27 +0100

> any of these.  Isn't URL is more accurate?

You might end up having trouble with other URI schemes aswell (part 
from URNs). It seems that people agree that the HTTP scheme refers to 
a URL, and a URN scheme NOT to a URL. The trouble comes with things 
like sip, telnet, mailto, go, and whatever new URI schemes are 
invented.

The best call, I think, is to talk generally about URIs, but then 
later talk about the requirements on the URIs which makes only the 
right URI schemes qualify to be used.

I.e. don't go down the path of talking about URLs or URIs, only what 
URI schemes makes sense in your application.

    Patrik
------------------------------------------------------------------
Senior Researcher                             Email: [email-masked]
Tele2 AB                                        URL: http://paf.se
Borgarfjordsgatan 16, Kista, Sweden      PGP Key ID: 0xBD236602

   In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,
   but in practice, there is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]