Subject: Re: IOTP Namespace

From: Terry Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:21:44 -0800

Dave Burdett wrote:
| I think it would therefore be a good idea for us to define IOTP version
| 1.0 as a namespace. Therefore suggest that we add the following as an
| attribute to the "OtpMessage" element ...
| 
| <!ATTLIST OtpMessage
|   xmlns:iotp	CDATA	
|    'ietf.org/draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-03'>

I assume this is a URL, not a URN.  Does the IETF want to make
any policy about URLs to be used for "namespace" URIs?  I think
the form you suggest is reasonable and should avoid overlap, but
possibly we should seek guidance.  This won't be the only 
"namespace" URI for IETF specs.

| In the above example, the value of the attribute identifies:
| *	iotp as the prefix for XML documents constructed according to the
| rules of the IOTP specs

If IOTP documents were to be long-lived, I would suggest adding a
version number, e.g., "iotp1.0" but I suspect there's no point.

| I'm not sure what would be a good definition of the namespace, so
| comments will be welcome.

The "XML namespaces" spec is so vague about what a "namespace" really 
is, so I think no actual definition is needed.  It's really just 
an added syntactic boundary mechanism.

regards, Terry Allen

[Veo having been acquired by Commerce One, I have a new sig:]

Terry Allen				Commerce One, Inc.
Business Language Designer              1600 Riviera Ave., Suite 200
tallen[at]sonic.net                     Walnut Creek, Calif., 94596
Common Business Library - available at  http://www.veosystems.com/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:13:58 -0500

From:  Terry Allen <[email-masked]>
X-envelope-info:  <[email-masked]>
Date:  Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:21:44 -0800
Message-Id:  <[email-masked]>
To:  [email-masked], [email-masked]

>"namespace" URI for IETF specs.

This is a tricky area.  I suppose that's OK as a place holder but
I suspect is should ultimately be something more like
	xmlns.reg.int/iotp

>Common Business Library - available at  http://www.veosystems.com/

Thanks,
Donald