Subject: Re: IOTP Net Locations

From: Terry Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:00:54 -0800

Donald Eastlake wrote:
| 
| Actually, isn't URI just the union of URL and URN?  All these pointers are
| operational network locations that would change as servers/hosts/companies
| change for oganizational or operational reasons.  In fact, it would not be
| surprising for some of them to be temporary dynamically computed strings
| with embedded transaction specific information.  URN's are supposed to be
| for permanent names aren't they?  I don't quite see how that would apply to
| any of these.  Isn't URL is more accurate?

URI is (at least for now and the forseeable future) indeed just the
union of URL and URN.  If IOTP wants NetLocn to be a URL, then 
"URL" is appropriate.  I don't see why a URN wouldn't be appropriate
(helping to mask the locations that change for organizational or
operational reasons), but I'm not pushing URNs for IOTP.

Separately, there is a recurring issue:  if you want to allow both
URLs and URNs in some context, do you want to use "URI" or
to label URLs and URNs separately in the markup so that they can
be told apart without examining the content of the element or
attribute that contains the URI?  E.g.,

<!ELEMENT foo (URI+)>

vs.

<!ELEMENT foo (URL | URN)+>

I don't think IOTP needs to worry about this now, but I want to 
point it out as something for folks to think about in their 
idle moments ...

| Thanks,
| Donald
| 
| >>PS:  How about replacing "NetLocn" with "URL"?
| >
| >I agree with this, or "URI", I suppose would also be accurate.
| >
| >-Kent.

regards, Terry

Terry Allen				Veo Systems, Inc.
Information Architect			2440 W. El Camino Real
tallen[at]sonic.net                     Mountain View, Calif., 94040
Common Business Library - available at  http://www.veosystems.com/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]