Subject: BankBoston, Mass EComm Assn sponsor info-payments confab; DEADLINE

From: Bill Densmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:04:07 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:35:27 -0400
From: IIPC Webmaster <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: BankBoston, Mass EComm Assn sponsor info-payments confab; DEADLINE

SUMMIT: "Making Information Pay: Setting An Agenda for Industry Collaboration"
         Feb. 28-March 2, 1999; Amherst, Mass.

 EARLY REGISTRATION DISCOUNT DEADLINE: Jan. 15

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BANKBOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS ELECTRONIC COMMERCE ASSOCIATION SPONSOR SUMMIT
AIMED AT FORGING INTERNET CONSENSUS ON INFORMATION-PAYMENT TECHNOLOGIES;

COMMERCENET, W3C, COPYRIGHT CLEARANCE CENTER, DOI FOUNDATION PRESENTING;
BACKED BY CLICKSHARE, RIGHTS EXCHANGE INC., IBM;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   AMHERST, Mass., Jan. 12, 1998 - Publishers, technology companies,
educators and industry associations are getting behind an effort to define
standards for the purchase, control and delivery of information across the
Internet.

   BankBoston, the Massachusetts Electronic Commerce Association and Rights
Exchange, Inc., of Buffalo, N.Y., have joined to sponsor the Internet
Information Payments Collaborative's (IIPC) roundtable summit, "Making
Information Pay:  Setting An Agenda for Industry Collaboration," to be held
at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst Feb. 28-March 2.

    "This is a gathering for people who want to move the Internet to the
next level of information exchange -- profitability," said Bill Densmore,
cofounder of Clickshare Service Corp., one of the IIPC's founding
collaborators. "Attendees are coming not just to listen, but to set an
agenda for research and trialing which will lead to industry-wide
solutions."

   The summit is the IIPC's kickoff event. The deadline for a 15%
pre-registration general discount is Friday. Attendance will be capped at
120-150 collaborators. Secure credit-card registration is available from
http://www.iipc.net/registration/ .

   Experts from the World Wide Web Consortium, CommerceNet, the Copyright
Clearance Center Inc., ASCAP and the International DOI (Digital Object
Identifier) Foundation will present status reports on their efforts. Along
with the sponsors, experts from companies such as Wells Fargo Bank, Gruner
+ Jahr USA Publishing and John Wiley & Sons will participate in setting the
agenda for breakout sessions.

   Among agenda-setting speakers will be Jakob Nielsen, Ph.D., whose topic
will be: "The Struggle for the Soul of the Web: Why Micropayments are
Needed to Pevent a Collapse in Web Usability." Dr. Nielsen is a web
user-experience visionary and a principal of the Nielsen Norman Group, of
Atherton, Calif., which he co-founded with the former head of Apple
Computer Corp. research, Dr. Donald A. Norman.

   Until 1998, Dr. Nielsen was a Sun Microsystems Distinguished Engineer
and led that company's Web usability efforts starting with the original
design of SunWeb in early 1994. His previous affiliations include the IBM
User Interface Institute, Bell Communications Research, and the Technical
University of Denmark. Nielsen is the author of the bestselling textbooks
"Usability Engineering" and "Multimedia and Hypertext: The Internet and
Beyond"; his next book, "Designing Excellent Websites: Secrets of an
Information Architect" (www.excellentsites.com), will be published in May.

UNIQUE WORKSHOP FORMAT

   The summit's unique format is designed for workshop-style collaboration
among an elite group of no more than 120 registrants from multimedia
publishing, the financial-services industry and Internet
information-commerce enterprises -- supported by trade groups from each
sector. Instead of a series of lecture-style keynotes, the three-day format
will allow participants to double as informal presenters, too.

   Using the roundtable format, supplemented with provocative talks and
papers, all attendees will have a chance to participate to (a) identify
industry needs, (b) specify appropriate solutions and then (c) help direct
the ensuing research and trial scope of the IIPC. Collaborators on Sunday
will identify business requirements for an information-commerce
infrastructure, and on Monday hear about emerging solutions. The Tuesday
morning session will build recommendations for followup research and
consumer technology trials by the IIPC.

   "Internet development is a group effort, and we think public-private
collaboration among academic and business researchers is to everyone's
advantage," says Dr. Leslie D. Ball, a professor at the Isenberg School of
Management who is co-directing both initiatives.

   "Publishers are confused by the array of unproved options for managing
and selling information on the Internet," says Stephen C. Mott, IIPC's
other co-director, an electronic-commerce consultant and and a former
executive with MasterCard International and publishers.  "We provide a way
to pool research-and-development around finding a common infrastructure for
on-demand purchase of digital information, including words, sounds and
pictures."

IIPC BACKGROUND

  International Business Machines Corp., has committed $100,000 in
equipment and software to the University of Massachusetts' fledgling
Internet Center for Electronic Commerce (ICEC), which is the primary
convenor of the Amherst summit, along with technology co-convenor
Clickshare Service Corp.

   The IIPC will study and test information-payment technologies, including
one offered by Clickshare, a Massachusetts-based startup, which is the
IIPC's first technology collaborator. Other technology vendors and
solutions are expected to be part of the trials, however.

   Both Mott and Ball said they saw the need for the IIPC emerging from the
failure of several pioneering information payment protocols to gain a
critical-mass of commercial adoption. They said it is clear the market for
information sales needs a forum for developing consensus on an operating
structure. The network operating structure needs to support competitive yet
interoperable marketing, and pricing beyond subscriptions and
advertising sales.

   "Internet development is a group effort, and we think public-private
collaboration among academic and business researchers is to everyone's
advantage," says Dr. Leslie D. Ball, a professor at the Isenberg School of
Management who is co-directing both initiatives.

   "Publishers are confused by the array of unproved options for managing
and selling information on the Internet," says Stephen C. Mott, IIPC's
other co-director, an electronic-commerce consultant and and a former
executive with MasterCard International and publishers.  "We provide a way
to pool research-and-development around finding a common infrastructure for
on-demand purchase of digital information, including words, sounds and
pictures."

-- 30 --

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE IIPC's MISSION AND FOUNDERS, SEE:
http://www.iipc.net/. To register go to http://www.iipc.net/registration/

OR CONTACT:

Dr. Leslie Ball, Room 202-D, Isenberg School of Management, University
of Masssachusetts-Amherst, Amherst, MA 01003, 413-545-5654,
[[email-masked]]; or Steven C. Mott, CSI Management Services Inc.,
203-968-1967; [[email-masked]]

SOURCE:

The Internet Information Payments Collaborative
c/o The Applied Computing Systems Institute of Massachusetts Inc.
Massachusetts Venture Center
100 Venture Way
Hadley MA 01035
(413) 587-2180
[email-masked]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: Eric Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:18:38 -0500

Bill,

This isn't the kind of announcement that is customary in an IETF list,
and doesn't appear to be directed to the authors of iotp, v1 or v2.

Cheers,
Eric

>Subject: BankBoston, Mass EComm Assn sponsor info-payments confab; DEADLINE

... (deletions) ...