Subject: Fundamental Errors in IOTP Messages

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 01:26:31 +0100

There are some instances where  an IOTP message is so badly damaged that it
cannot be sensibly processed. Yet, we still want to return an error
component that identifies where the error has occured. Currently the
defintion of the error component does not support this as it requires that
the Id of the IotpMsg in error be present which can only be extracted if the
message is reasonably OK.

Changes apply to the Error Location element:
- IotpMsgRef Attribute, and
- the AttName Attribute

Details below with some examples.

David

IOTPMSGREF Attribute
=================
Therefore I propose that we change Error Location so that the IotpMsgRef is
Implied rather than Required. We can then, for example, handle severe errors
as follows:

ATTNAME attribute
===============

We can also usefully slightly change the defintion of the ATTNAME attribute
from

"If the error is associated with the value of an attribute, then this is the
name of that attribute. In this case the PackagedContent of the Error
Component should contain the value of the attribute."

... to ...

If the error is associated with an attribute, then this contains the name of
that attribute. If the value of the attribute is in error or inconsistent
then the PackagedContent of the Error Component should contain the value of
the attribute.

EXAMPLE

The following illustrate the usage:

1. XML not well formed

<ErrorComp xml:lang='US-EN' ErrorCode='XmlNotWellFrmd' ErrorDesc='The Iotp
message is not well formed XML' Severity='HardError'>
	<ErrorLocation ElementType='IotpMsg'>
		<PackagedContent>
		... copy of input message ...
		</PackagedContent>
	</ErrorLocation>
</ErrorComp>

2. XML not valid

<ErrorComp xml:lang='US-EN' ErrorCode='XmlNotValid' ErrorDesc='The Iotp
message is not valid XML and does not conform the IOTP DTD version 1.0'
Severity='HardError'>
	<ErrorLocation ElementType='IotpMsg' IotpMsgRef='xxx' etc>
		<PackagedContent>
		... copy of input message ...
		</PackagedContent>
	</ErrorLocation>
</ErrorComp>

3. IotpTransId cannot be found

<ErrorComp xml:lang='US-EN' ErrorCode='AttMissing' ErrorDesc='The IOTP
Transaction Identifier could not be located within the IOTP message'
Severity='HardError'>
	<ErrorLocation ElementType='IotpMsg' AttName='IotpTransId'>
		<PackagedContent>
		... copy of input message ...
		</PackagedContent>
	</ErrorLocation>
</ErrorComp>

> mailto:<[email-masked]>
> Mondex International, US Advanced Technology Office
> 111 Pine St, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111
> Tel/Voicemail: +1 415 645 6973	Fax: +1 415 956 9370
> 

**********************************************************************************************

This Email and any attached files are confidential and may also be privileged. 
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the postmaster using email 
address [email-masked] or call +44 171 557 5000 and ask for the 
IT Helpdesk.  You should not copy this email and any attached files, use them 
for any purpose or disclose the contents to any other person; all copies of the 
Email and associated files in your possession should be destroyed.

Mondex International Limited
47-53 Cannon Street
London EC4M 5SQ
United Kingdom
Registered No: 3122085, England

Phone:          +44 171 557 5000
Fax:            +44 171 557 5200
Email:          [email-masked]
WebSite:        http://www.mondexinternational.com

*********************************************************************************************
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]