Subject: RE: Electronic Commerce Modeling Language (ECML)?

From: Andrew Drapp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:23:54 +0900

> What are the differences between ECML and IOTP?

I took a quick look at the web page provided bye Richard Brown
http://www.ecml.org and noticed that the specification is being handed
over to the IETF, and the first draft was written up (formatted) by Donald
Eastlake.  After reading the specification, I don't really understand all the
brouhaha regarding ECML recently, both Wired and C|Net have articles
on ECML and a e-card wallet using ECML.  

One funny thing is the way John McGuire, CEO of Trintech, must have been
misquoted in the Wired article:

"Our e-card looks like what you have in
your wallet but is totally secure because
the customer must enter a password
when making a purchase."

(Article found at: http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/20178.html)

I wonder what he really said.  

Regards,

Andrew Drapp

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:50:50 -0400

From:  Andrew Drapp <[email-masked]>
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>
To:  "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date:  Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:23:54 +0900

>on ECML and a e-card wallet using ECML.  

Sorry I didn't post something yesterday but was in transit.  You will
notice that the Internet-Draft is not in any working group and that
the boilerplate at the front withholds the right to create derivative
works.  The Wallet/Merchant Standards Alliance is just using the IETF
as a publication channel, not (yet) turning change control over to the
IETF.

Thanks,
Donald
(responding as an individual, not as chair of the TRADE WG)