Subject: XML Messaging Draft Charter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 00:18:45 +0100

In the last IETF meeting, in Minneapolis, I gave a presentation on "XML
Messaging" which suggested extracting from IOTP the ideas it contained on
handling messages so that they could form a separate standard that would
have wider applicability. During the meeting this was thought a good idea.

The attached HTML document (and plain text below) contain an *initial* draft
for a charter for an XML Messaging working group that might be formed to
develop the standard. Please note that:
*	it IS a draft - comments ARE welcome
*	I do not presume that a working group will be formed - that is the
decision of the IESG

However I would like to start informal discussion on the idea. So any
comments are really welcome, particularly from groups, not necessarily
within the IETF, that might make use of XML Messaging. It is important that
the requirements of a good cross-section of potential users of XML messaging
are included in this work.

I also suggest, with the chair's permission, that ideas on what to do in the
area of "XML Messaging" is discussed during the Trade WG meetiing at the
next IETF meeting in Oslo on July 14.

Regards

David Burdett

Draft charter as HTML ...
 <<XML Messaging Charter - draft.htm>> 

... and as text ...
====================================
XML MESSAGING (XMLMSG)

Chair(s):

[TBD]

[Applications/Transport] Area Director(s):

TBD

[This potentially could be either the Applications Area or Transport Area or
joint in both areas.]

Area Advisor:

[TBD]

Mailing Lists:

General Discussions: ietf-xmlmsg@xxx
To Subscribe: [TBD]
Archive: [TBD]

Description of Working Group:

Purpose

The Extensible Mark-Up Language (XML) (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210) is becoming popular as the basis
for Internet protocols such as IOTP and RosettaNet. Other existing protocols
also state an intention to migrate to XML such as OFX and FSML. [please
suggest other appropriate standards]

Many of these protocols have common requirements which are independent of
the purpose of the protocols, the information they are carrying or the
processes that these protocols initiate and control.

The purpose of the XMLMSG working group is to develop standard approaches to
common requirements for these protocols so that solutions may benefit from
re-usability of software components and enhanced interoperability.

The list of requirements is described below under three headings:
1)	Common XML Message Elements
2)	Document Exchange Architecture
3)	Common Document Exchanges

Common XML Message Elements

The following are to be considered as common XML Message elements:
1) Standard Message Header. These elements will identify, describe and
classify the XML documents that make up the messages in the protocol
2) Packaged Data. An XML element that can be used to encapsulate any
arbitrary data, for example binary data, or other XML documents, inside an
XML document
3) Message Error Data. These elements specify the nature and position of
errors found in an XML document that has been received
4) Signature Data. These elements apply digital signatures to the data in
the message. The intention is that this will use the results of the joint
W3C/IETF XMLDSIG working group
5) Status Data. These elements describe the success or failure of a process
which the protocol is used to initiate.
6) XML Message Structure. This element will describe how the other Common
XML Message elements can be combined to form a basic XML document for a
protocol message that can be used to "wrap" data which is domain specific.

The intention is not to duplicate the effort of others.  For example, if W3C
standardizes the packaging of arbitrary data, then this working group would
use the results of their work.

Document Exchange Architecture

This will define how to use the Common XML Message Elements to exchange
documents between the parties involved in the protocol. Specifically the
following areas will be considered.
1) Simple Document Exchange. This will describe how to carry out a Document
Exchange consisting of Request Messages and Response Messages that:
	a) Initiate a process on a remote system. This will describe how to
use a message that conforms to the XML Message Structure to request the
initiation of a process at a remote location, and
	b) Receive the results of a process. This will describe how to
construct a message using the XML Message Structure that responds to the
request and describes the success, or failure, of the process
2) Combining Document Exchanges. This will describe how to combine two or
more Simple Document Exchanges between two or more organizations into higher
level processes for greater functionality
3) Process Authorization. This will describe how to determine if the XML
document that forms a request message is authorized and therefore the
requested document exchange should be carried out, particularly when
authorization is dependent on the successful completion of an earlier
document exchange
4) Problem Reporting. How to report errors found in messages so that the
problems in systems that caused the error can be resolved
5) Idempotency. This will describe standard approaches towards handling
duplicate messages and data that has been received.
6) Restarts and Recovery. If a document exchange fails this will describe
standard approaches towards recovering from the failure.

Common Document Exchanges

These are common Document Exchanges that use  the Document Exchange
structure described above to implement commonly used functionality:
1) Process Inquiry. This will describe a Document Exchange that can be used
to inquire on the current status of any other process that is supported by a
protocol based on XML Messaging.
2) Ping Transaction. This will describe a Document Exchange that can be used
to determine if the servers and systems that are supporting a protocol based
on XML Messaging are available and functioning.
3) Authentication. This will describe a Document Exchange that can be used
to discover information about and authenticate another system or user of the
protocol.

Development Approach

Three documents are to be developed that correspond to each of the three
groupings above.  While some work will proceed in parallel on all three
groups, they are expected to be advanced for standardization in the order
listed above

Goals and Milestones:

To be completed.

**********************************************************************************************

This Email and any attached files are confidential and may also be privileged. 
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the postmaster using email 
address [email-masked] or call +44 171 557 5000 and ask for the 
IT Helpdesk.  You should not copy this email and any attached files, use them 
for any purpose or disclose the contents to any other person; all copies of the 
Email and associated files in your possession should be destroyed.

Mondex International Limited
47-53 Cannon Street
London EC4M 5SQ
United Kingdom
Registered No: 3122085, England

Phone:          +44 171 557 5000
Fax:            +44 171 557 5200
Email:          [email-masked]
WebSite:        http://www.mondexinternational.com

*********************************************************************************************