Subject: RE: Minutes for Oslo TRADE WG Meeting

From: Yoshiaki KAWATSURA <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 16:25:00 +0900 (JST)

Chris,
My comments are below.

>>>>> Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:12:34 -0400,
	"Smith, Chris " <[email-masked]> said:
> > Yoshiaki Kawatsura of Hitachi presented an update on the status of the
> > SMILE project.  (see separate slides)
> >
> Are these coming to the list as well? Please? Perhaps a URL?

Attached. This presentation file is Microsoft PowerPoint 97 style.

> > David Burdett mentioned that there was an IOTP 1.0 implementation by
> > the Royal Bank of Canada and that one was planned this year by SIZ.
> >
> Yes - for those that wish more detail, a starting point is the press
> release at http://www.newse

It seems to me this URL is not correct...

> > A straw poll was taken and indicated overwhelming support by those in
> > the room to advance these two IOTP v1.0 protocol specification
> > documents to the IESG for Informational RFC within a few weeks.  (The
> > IESG may choose to do an IETF wide last call on them.)  It was
> > suggested that the XML DTD in these two documents be tried with
> > various XML processing tools to be sure it will work with them,
> >
> Would this be draft-04, or (based on a final few items
> on the list) draft-05?

I guess we will start the last-call after the *final* revised version of 
IOTP Spec (draft-05) is released. 

When can you release the draft-05, David?

> > Hitachi presented some slides on the SET supplement.  (see separate
> > slides)
> >
> Are these coming to the list as well? Please? Perhaps a URL?

Attached. This presentation file is Microsoft PowerPoint 97 style.

Thanks,
----
Yoshiaki Kawatsura : E-mail [email-masked]
 Business & Information Systems Development Division, Hitachi,Ltd.
Voice: +81-44-549-1713(direct) Fax: +81-44-549-1721

---

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 08:55:21 -0700

Chris asked which version of the spec draft-04 or draft-5 would be advanced
to the IESG. My view is that it should be draft-05. The changes, as
discussed are really minor.
 
I've sent all the presentations I gave to Don to include on his web site,
but I know that Don has been travelling for a few weeks, although hopefully
he can get them on-line soon.
 
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Smith, Chris [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 7:13 AM
To: 'Donald E. Eastlake 3rd'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Minutes for Oslo TRADE WG Meeting

Comments below - I've stripped out items I have no comments 
on. Overall, it sounds like it was a good meeting. 

------------------------------------------------------------ 
 Chris Smith                                +1.416.348.6090 
 Royal Bank                       [email-masked] 

> -----Original Message----- 
> From: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
> Sent: July 27, 1999 09:35 AM 
> To: [email-masked] 
> Subject: Minutes for Oslo TRADE WG Meeting 

Yes - for those that wish more detail, a starting point is the press 
release at http://www.newse <http://www.newse>  

> ... There was some discussion of the change which permitted optional 
> authentication at the beginning of most transactions. 
> 
Sorry I couldn't be in on this - we used this feature in our 
implementation. Completely authenticating the client (using a payment- 
specific auth mechanism) allowed us to report useful client-specific 
information if problems arose during the creation of the OfferResponse. 

In the past, with payment-based authentication buried in the Payment 
exchange, we had to provide generic responses (such as "Failed.") when a 
more useful response was desired. It was not permissable to send 
potentially detailed error information to a customer who was not 
authenticated. 

More particularly, it ensured that we only generated an OfferResponse 
when the customer actually had the payment instrument in question. From 
both a security and a usability point of view, this was a definite 
improvement. 

> Jason Easton spoke briefly on the SCCD supplement which Tom Arnold is 
> authoring.  Tom had planned to be present but got called away from the 
> IETF meeting due to business considerations.  SCCD (Secure Channel 
> Credit Debit) is a payment protocol intended to be used via an SSL or 
> similar secure channel and provide the equivalent of SSL secured plain 
> text forms for credit card charges.  This should be out as an I-D 
> within three weeks. 
> 
Good! Congrats to Tom - this is long overdue. Looking forward 
to reviewing this. 

> Possible additional payment system supplements covering eCheck and ACH 
> we listed by Donald Eastlake.  Tony Lewis questioned the presence of 
> ACH as it normally requires prior written authorization but Steve 
> Crocker thought it should be there. 
> 
We should soon see the outlines of legal acceptance of digital 
signatures. When that heppens, an online digital signature on the 
relevant request may become equivalent to the prior written 
authorization. 

> Ko Fujimura of NTT gave a presentation on "What's Next in Internet 
> Commerce" which concentrated on Digital Right, such as sale of 
> memberships, use of coupons, sale of subscriptions, loyalty systems, 
> etc.  There appeared to be a consensus at the meeting to have a BoF 
> like meeting on this topic at the next IETF meeting assuming at a 
> minimum, that a draft requirements document can be prepared in time. 
> This needs discussion on the mailing list. 
> 
Will Mr. Fujimara be starting this discussion? 

> Finally, David Burdett gave an informational presentation on the OECD 
> and Taxation.  (See separate slides.) 
> 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:09:53 -0700

Yoshiaki asked ... When can you release the draft-05, David? ...

Really the only thing left to do, barring more comments is to incorporate
any final chages arising from your comments on IOTP DSIG.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Yoshiaki KAWATSURA [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 1999 12:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Minutes for Oslo TRADE WG Meeting

Chris,
My comments are below.

Thanks,
----