Subject: Consumer delivery address

From: Andras Varga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:20:59 +0200

Hi,

At MeTechnology (a Brokat company) we're working on a prototype IOTP
implementation. During design, we stumbled upon an issue with the protocol
that we couldn't solve.

Our scenario is the following:
The Consumer does the shopping and decides to pay. At this time the Merchant
sends an IOTP OfferResponse to the Consumer. This OfferResponse may contain
a shipping address for the Consumer (the shop knows the address if the
Consumer has
previously registered and logged in the shop).
The Consumer's IOTP wallet starts, and (besides displaying the offer to the
Consumer
and assisting in brand, protocol and currency selection) it offers the
Consumer to
revise the default shipping address (or the Consumer can chose another one
from
his/her address book).
After this, the IOTP wallet needs to transmit the revised address to the
Delivery Handler.
(In an IOTP DeliveryRequest, but it may also make sense to send only the
address
in case delivery will only be requested significant time after the payment).

Now our problems are the following:
1. It appears that the Consumer's address (Org) has to be signed by the
Merchant in the
OfferResponse. Is it still possible to change the address afterwards?

2. The Consumer may want to send the address (Org) back to the Delivery
Handler
(or to the Merchant) before actually requesting delivery. How can this be
done? It appears
to us that an Authentication Exchange is also intended for this purpose, but
the problem
is that the Authentication Exchange has to be initiated by the other party
(the Delivery Handler
or the Merchant) which makes it inconvenient for this purpose.

From the Consumer's point of view, it would be desirable if he/she could
change the
shipping address even in the last minute before requesting the delivery.
What if, for example,
the Consumer moved to a different address (bought a new house) after making
the payment,
and she wants the goods to be delivered to the new address (which was
unknown at the time
of the purchase)...

Regards...
Andras

----
Andras Varga
MeTechnology Ltd.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]

---

From: "Smith, Chris " <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:47:11 -0400

I think you actually have a pretty good handle on how IOTP is
structured to solve your problem.

The intent is that all relevant details are available for construction and
signing of the Offer Response. This includes items such as the shipping
address.

There are many reasons for having all these items selected before
constructing the OfferResponse. The cost of shipping to various addresses
may vary, or certain deliveries may not be possible for certain types of
shipping (example: courier companies won't deliver to a post office box
number).

Furthermore, merchants may be told that there are legal implications to
sending their products to certain destinations; this will be more likely if
the shipping address is a foreign destination.

In many of these cases, allowing the shipping address to change would change
either the payment amount (which may have already been paid) or it would
place the merchant in a position where they can no longer fill the order as
originally specified.

In addition, the expectation is that, sometime in the future, a signed Offer
Response would constitute a contract that the merchant has agreed to.
Merchants usually prefer to know all the details ahead of time so as the
ensure their ability to fill the contract.

This is the background to why IOTP as it is. My only other suggestion would
be -- if the shipping address is incidental, then do not include it in the
Offer Response. Instead, have the Deliverer send the Auth Request to get the
address just before delivery (I think this is possible - comments are
requested on this idea.) You could even do this even if the shipping address
was included in the Offer Response, but, as you say, this must be initiated
by the Deliverer.

Note that nothing restricts an overall IOTP transaction to only one Auth
Request. More than one party can send Auth Requests at several times.

------------------------------------------------------------
 Chris Smith                                +1.416.348.6090
 Royal Bank                       [email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andras Varga [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: August 27, 1999 07:21 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Consumer delivery address

---

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:53:42 -0700

I agree with Chris's comments including the Deliverer using an
Authentication Transaction to determine a revised delivery address. The
deliverer could also use the RelatedTo element to link the authentication
transaction to the original purchases.
 
Regards
 
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Smith, Chris [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 10:47 AM
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
Cc: "Rudolf Hornig"@metechnology.com
Subject: RE: Consumer delivery address

> From: Andras Varga [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ]