Subject: [tram] WG Review: TURN Revised and Modernized (tram)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 09:20:17 -0800

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Transport Area. The
IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2014-02-17.

TURN Revised and Modernized (tram)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Assigned Area Director:
  Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tram
  Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tram/current/maillist.html

Charter:

Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN) was published as RFC 5766 in 
April 2010. Until recently the protocol had seen rather limited 
deployment. This is largely because its primary use case is as one 
of the NAT traversal methods of the Interactive Connectivity 
Establishment (ICE) framework (RFC 5245), and ICE itself was slow 
to achieve widespread adoption, as other mechanisms were already
being used by the VoIP industry. This situation has changed 
drastically as ICE, and consequently TURN, are mandatory to implement 
in WebRTC, a set of technologies developed at the IETF and W3C to 
standardize Real Time Communication on the Web.

Together with the arrival of WebRTC, there is a renewed interest in 
TURN and ICE, as evidenced by recent work updating the ICE framework 
(still in progress), and standardizing the URIs used to access a STUN 
(RFC 7064) or TURN (RFC 7065) server.

The goal of the TRAM Working Group is to consolidate the various 
initiatives to update TURN and STUN to make them more suitable for 
the WebRTC environment. The work will include the addition of DTLS 
as an additional transport, authentication mechanisms, and extensions 
to TURN and STUN. The Working Group will closely coordinate with the 
appropriate Working Groups, including RTCWEB, MMUSIC, and HTTPBIS.

Milestones:

TBD