Subject: [tram] Milestone 2: New authentication mechanism

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 09:21:09 -0500

The current authentication mechanism for TURN, which is reused from
STUN, has been designed with a SIP account database in mind. The new
RTCWEB usages, which are mostly based on web applications, do not fit
that model. A new authentication mechanism optimized for such web
applications will be created.

Milestone 2a: Problem analysis
Candidate draft: draft-reddy-behave-turn-auth

Milestone 2b: Solution(s)
Candidate drafts: draft-uberti-behave-turn-rest,
draft-johnston-tram-stun-origin, maybe a draft based on OAuth

I would see this milestone fulfilled in two parts: problem analysis and
then solution(s).

One question the WG will have to answer is whether we need more than one
solution. Are the proposed solutions solving different aspects of the
problem, or can one solution solve all problems? Depending on the answer
we will end up adopting one or more drafts to fully solve the problem.

As far as I am concerned, as see this also as top priority. We should
first get consensus on the problem analysis, which could be done quickly
(before Toronto I would hope). Then work on solution(s) could take more
time.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca