Subject: [tram] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud-18.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 08:19:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TURN Revised and Modernized WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery (PLMTUD) For UDP Transports Using Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)
        Authors         : Marc Petit-Huguenin
                          Gonzalo Salgueiro
                          Felipe Garrido
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud-18.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2020-08-19

Abstract:
   The datagram exchanged between two Internet endpoints have to go
   through a series of physical and virtual links that may have
   different limits on the upper size of the datagram they can transmit
   without fragmentation.  Because fragmentation is considered harmful,
   most transports and protocols are designed with a mechanism that
   permits dynamic measurement of the maximum size of a datagram.  This
   mechanism is called Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery (PLPMTUD).
   But the UDP transport and some of the protocols that use UDP were
   designed without that feature.  The Session Traversal Utilities for
   NAT (STUN) Usage described in this document permits retrofitting an
   existing UDP-based protocol with such a feature.  Similarly, a new
   UDP-based protocol could simply reuse the mechanism described in this
   document.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud-18
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud-18

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud-18

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/