Subject: [rbridge] Name that BoF

From: Erik.Nordmark at sun.com (Erik Nordmark)
Date: Wed May 26 15:47:00 2004

We've picked the winning name for the BoF:
  IP Virtual Link eXtension (ipvlx)

I'd expect this to be pronounced i-p-v-lex.
If anyone objects strongly, now is the time to speak.

If not, we can proceed with getting the BoF scheduled.

  Erik & Radia

---

From: ftemplin at iprg.nokia.com (Fred Templin)
Date: Thu May 27 09:34:47 2004

Erik,

>I'd expect this to be pronounced i-p-v-lex.

I wasn't going to mention this, but the pronounciation you are
suggesting seems a bit awkward and unnatural - at least from
the perspective of a native american-english speaker.

Why not just pronounce it: 'i-p-v-l-x', i.e., as it is spelled? The
way you are suggesting ('i-p-v-lex') seems like it would require
a large amount of overhead in training the general populous for
no apparent gain, i.e., unless the trailing syllable 'lex' has some
particular significance to you?

Perhaps the better alternative in this case is to not suggest any
particular pronounciation at all and see what emerges in common
speech. For example, I know of at least one technical term ('ioctl')
that is frequently pronounced any one of at least three different
ways ('i-o-c-t-l', 'i-octal', 'i-o-cuttle') - even though the term has
been around in common use for most of the past half-century.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

---

From: Erik.Nordmark at sun.com (Erik Nordmark)
Date: Thu May 27 14:17:47 2004

> the perspective of a native american-english speaker.

Point taken.

What I wanted to make sure is that we don't use the roman numeral
observation as a pronounciation guide - I think pronouncing IPVLX
as IPv60 would add so much confusion that it wouldn't be funny.

Apart from that, I don't care how it is pronounced.

   Erik

---

From: ftemplin at iprg.nokia.com (Fred Templin)
Date: Thu May 27 14:36:50 2004

>as IPv60 would add so much confusion that it wouldn't be funny.

Agreed that we don't want to give rise to this kind  of confusion.
Still, the roman numerals present an interesting opportunity for
T-shirt slogans, etc.:

  "IPvLX: X times better than IPvVI"

>Apart from that, I don't care how it is pronounced.

Same here.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

>
>   Erik
>
>_______________________________________________
>rbridge mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge
>  
>

---

From: ftemplin at iprg.nokia.com (Fred Templin)
Date: Thu May 27 14:55:46 2004

All silliness aside, I think that if we want to use IP Virtual Link 
eXtension
we should simply list the acronym as all lower-case (i.e., 'ipvlx') and say
nothing at all about suggested pronounciations or roman numeral 
coincidences.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]