Subject: [rbridge] New TRILL charter review

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:42:09 -0700

This is updated based on the comments on the list.

Please provide comments on this proposed charter before May 11. Then we
will pass it do the AD for review and approval.

   Erik and Donald

---

Description of Working Group:

   The TRILL WG has specified a solution for shortest-path frame
   routing in multi-hop IEEE 802.1-compliant Ethernet networks with
   arbitrary topologies, using an existing link-state routing protocol
   technology and encapsulation with a hop count.
   [Add reference to RFC?]

   The current work of the working group is around operational and
   deployment support for the protocol. This includes a MIB and other
   pieces needed for operations, but also extensions to handle the
   characteristics of the networks in which there is a desire to deploy
   TRILL.

   The WG will work on the following items:

   (1) A MIB for TRILL which specifies the unique pieces needed for the
   protocol while reusing what is in the IS-IS MIB and the Bridge
   MIB for pieces that are not unique to TRILL.

   (2) Addition of optional support for ARP / Neighbor Discovery
   optimization.

   (3) Refinement of the TRILL Header Options feature and specification
   of an initial base set of options.

   (4) Support for RBridge campus VLAN regions, such that the same VLAN
   ID can have different meanings in different regions, requiring
   configuration only at border RBridges.

   (5) Write up how Operations and Management (OAM) will be handled in
   networks using TRILL.

   (6) Determine how TRILL will provide improved support for data
   centers such as support of the IEEE 802.1 "Data Center Bridging"
   standards.

   (7) Document interoperability test results of protocol
   implementations.

Goals and Milestones:
   Done     - Accept base protocol specification as a WG document
   Done     - Accept problem statement and applicability as a WG work
              item
   Done     - Start work with routing area WG(s) to undertake TRILL
              extensions
   Done     - Accept architecture document as a WG work item
   Done     - Accept routing protocol requirements as a WG work item
   Done     - Choose routing protocol(s) that can meet the requirements
   Done     - Submit problem statement and applicability to IESG for
              Informational RFC
   Done     - Submit base protocol specification to IEEE/IETF expert
              review
   Done     - Base protocol specification submitted to the IESG for
              publication as a Proposed Standard RFC
   Done     - First draft showing what is needed for MIB

NEW:
   Done     - Initial WG draft on VLAN Mapping
   Done     - Initial WG draft TRILL Header Options
   Jul 2010 - Initial WG draft on ARP/ND optimizations
   Aug 2010 - Submit TRILL Header Options to IESG for publication as
              Proposed Standard
   Aug 2010 - Submit Rbridge Campus VLAN Regions to IESG for publication
              as Proposed Standard
   Oct 2010 - Submit RBridge MIB to IESG for publication as Proposed
              Standard
   Oct 2010 - Initial WG draft for RBridge support of Data Center
              Bridging
   Oct 2010 - Initial WG draft on RBridge OAM
   Jul 2011 - Re-charter or shut down the WG
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:20:34 -0700

Hi, Erik and Donald,

Overall, looks good. I'd be a bit more specific in the charter summary,
as noted.

Joe

Erik Nordmark wrote:
> Please provide comments on this proposed charter before May 11. Then
> we will pass it do the AD for review and approval.
>
>    Erik and Donald
>
> ---
>

but also additional ways to extend and optimize TRILL, both in general
and to the

> characteristics of the networks in which there is a desire to deploy

properties of the networks on which it is deployed.

>    TRILL.

--- (remainder uncommented)

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:15:47 +0200

I appologize if I jump rather late in this discussion.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Erik Nordmark

>    MIB for pieces that are not unique to TRILL.

Following the process described in RFC 4663 the Bridge MIB work was
transferred to IEEE 802.1 who revised the base MIB as part of IEEE
802.1ap and developped a number of new MIB modules. I think that the
text in a future charter of TRILL should reflect this and say: 

(1) A MIB for TRILL which specifies the unique pieces needed for the
     protocol while reusing what is in the IS-IS MIB and the IEEE 802.1
     MIB modules for pieces that are not unique to TRILL.

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:13:53 -0400

Hi Joe,

> Overall, looks good. I'd be a bit more specific in the charter summary,

OK, but as I comment below, a few of the words you suggest seem to make it
less specific.

> but also additional ways to extend and optimize TRILL, both in general

It's the "in general" you suggest which seems to make it less specific. How
about:

"but also additional ways to extend and optimize TRILL for the"

then continuing as you have it below.

> --- (remainder uncommented)

Thanks,
Donald

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:19:07 -0700

>       MIB modules for pieces that are not unique to TRILL.

Makes sense.

Thanks,

    Erik

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:30:08 -0700

Hi, Donald,

Donald Eastlake wrote:
...
> It's the "in general" you suggest which seems to make it less specific.
> How about:
> 

Sure - agree that defeats the goal I had ;-)

Joe

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:42:21 -0400

Thanks Dan. The change you suggest seems reasonable.
Donald