Subject: [rbridge] Improvements to draft-ietf-trill-adj

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:56:16 -0500

Hi,

Looking over draft-ietf-trill-adj-00, I'd like to make the following changes:

(1) In references to Hello holding timers, remove all occurrences of
"decrement" and re-word so as to use "expiration". This will make the
wording more closer to that in other specifications that refer to the
holding time running out.

(2) Event 4 in Section 3.3 is a bit ambiguous. It currently says:

   4. Decrement of Hello holding timers changes them so both are zero

which can be interpreted to mean that both holding timers associated
with an adjacency have to expire at the same time. I propose
re-wording it as

  4. The expiration of one or both Hello holding timers results in
them both being expired.

(3) The current abstract is just one short sentence and does not give
much context. I propose changing it to the two paragraphs posted at
the end of this message.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street
 Milford, MA 01757 USA   +1-508-634-2066 (home)
 [email-masked]

Proposed Abstract for draft-ietf-trill-adj:

  The IETF TRILL protocol provides optimal pair-wise data forwarding
  without configuration, safe forwarding even during periods of
  temporary loops, and support for multipathing of both unicast and
  multicast traffic. TRILL accomplishes this by using IS-IS link
  state routing and by encapsulating traffic using a header that
  includes a hop count. Devices that implement TRILL are called
  RBridges.

  TRILL supports multi-access LAN links that can have multiple end
  stations and RBridges attached. This document describes the TRILL
  LAN Hello protocol used on such links as regards adjacency,
  designated RBridge selection, and MTU procedures, with state
  machines. TRILL requires no changes to adjacency state machinery for
  IS-IS point-to-point Hellos, which are used on links configured as
  point-to-point.

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:35:20 -0800

Fine with me.

Radia