Subject: [rbridge] RBridge Channel 1/3: Egress-RBridges multicast address

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 08:19:01 -0400

Hi,

draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-channel-00 currently provides for allocating
a new multicast address from the small pool of 16 multicast MAC
address dedicated to TRILL. This would be used as a special
Inner.MacDA to indicate RBridge Channel frames and would be noticed
when the frame is egressed.

This is actually very similar to what the All-ESADI-RBridges special
Inner.MacDA does. I believe that they both work for current silicon
implementations by directing the frame to the slow path. Furthermore,
these two kinds of frames are distinguished by their Inner.Ethertype.
So I don't actually see that it is necessary to use up anther
multicast address from the small pool so they can have different
Inner.MacDAs.

So, I propose to change the RBridge Channel draft to use the same
Inner.MacDA as ESADI and to have that draft update the IANA registry
to show "All-Egress-RBridges" as an alternative name for that
multicast MAC address.

Thanks,
Donald

PS: This is the first of three suggested tweaks to the RBridge Channel
draft. I'm posting them separately to make discussion easier.
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge