Subject: [rbridge] RBridge Channel 2/3: Alert Bit move

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 08:22:28 -0400

Hi,

Since the Alert extended TRILL Header flag bit is potentially useful
for more things than just RBridge Channel / OAM protocols, I would
like to move its specification from the RBridge Channel draft
(draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-channel-00) to the TRILL Header Extensions
(formerly Options) draft. The Alert bit just forces the frame to be
delivered to the slow path at a transit RBridge. (Since, I believe,
with current silicon, the presence of any non-zero length header
extension area will send the frame to the slow path, specifying an
Alert extended header flag will actually work quite well.)

Thanks,
Donald

PS: This is the second of three suggested tweaks to the RBridge
Channel draft. I'm posting them separately to make discussion easier.
This one also affects the TRILL Header Extension draft.
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge