Subject: [trill] Protocol Action: 'TRILL: Header Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-extension-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 08:29:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL: Header Extension'
  (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-extension-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-extension/

Technical Summary

   The IETF TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links) base
   protocol specifies minimal hooks to safely support TRILL Header
   extensions. This document specifies an initial extension providing
   additional flag bits and specifies two of those bits, plus the
   Critical Channel Alert Flag used by the channel draft.

Working Group Summary

   There was rough consensus in the working group in favor of the
   document, with one relatively strong dissenter. The main point of
   the dissenter was that the material in this draft is not needed to
   provide an RBridge channel that can be used for BFD and error
   reporting, hence the extensions are speculative on future
   standardization that would make use of them. The WG neverless wants
   to proceed with this document.

Document Quality

   The document has been carefully reviewed in the WG and by the
   document shepherd. There are no known implementations of the
   additional Critical Channel Alert Flag specified in this document.

Personnel

   Erik Nordmark is the Document Shepherd.  Ralph Droms is the
   responsible Area Director.