Subject: [trill] Query on RFC 6325 - Appointed forwarder of Access Port

From: Abhinav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 22:15:16 -0500

Hello,

In RFC 6325, Section 4.9.1 RBridge Port Configuration states that:
"

If the DRB RB1 does not have this bit set, but neighbor RB2 on the
      link does have the bit set, then RB1 does not appoint RB2 as
      appointed forwarder for any VLAN, and none of the RBridges
      (including the pseudonode) report RB2 as a neighbor in LSPs."

The above text is from the "TRILL traffic disable (access port) bit"
section  bit set refers to access port.

According to my understanding after going through RFC 6439 (appointed
forwarders). AF assignment does not happen for trunk port (End Station
service disable) and only happen for access port (Disable TRILL traffic) or
when both access and trunk bits are 0.

But the statement in RFC is looking contradictory, please clarify on it.

Thanks,
AB

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 22:57:18 -0500

Hi AB,

Thanks for your comment. My apologies for my slow reply.

You seem to have found an error in RFC 6325. As far as I can tell, the
text you point out ("If the DRB RB1 does not have this bit set, but
neighbor RB2 on the
      link does have the bit set, then RB1 does not appoint RB2 as
      appointed forwarder for any VLAN, and none of the RBridges
      (including the pseudonode) report RB2 as a neighbor in LSPs.")
should be part of the previous bullet point, the one related the
"End-station service disable (trunk port) bit", not the bullet point
where it currently appears about the "TRILL traffic disable (access
port) bit".

I'll submit an Errata.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Abhinav Bhatia <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The above text is from the "TRILL traffic disable (access port) bit" section
> bit set refers to access port.
>
> _______________________________________________
> trill mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/trill
>

---

From: Abhinav <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 09:12:42 -0500

Hi Donald,

That's correct , It should be part of 
End-station service disable (trunk port) bit.

Thanks,
Abhinav Bhatia

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: gayle noble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:47:08 -0800

I support this :)
gayle