Subject: [trill] RFC 7783 on Coordinated Multicast Trees (CMT) for Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:53:55 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7783

        Title:      Coordinated Multicast Trees (CMT) for 
                    Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links 
                    (TRILL) 
        Author:     T. Senevirathne, J. Pathangi,
                    J. Hudson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 36970
        Updates:    RFC 6325

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-cmt-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7783

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7783

TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links) facilitates
loop-free connectivity to non-TRILL networks via a choice of an
Appointed Forwarder for a set of VLANs.  Appointed Forwarders provide
VLAN-based load sharing with an active-standby model.
High-performance applications require an active-active
load-sharing model.  The active-active load-sharing model can be
accomplished by representing any given non-TRILL network with a
single virtual RBridge (also referred to as a virtual Routing Bridge
or virtual TRILL switch).  Virtual representation of the non-TRILL
network with a single RBridge poses serious challenges in
multi-destination RPF (Reverse Path Forwarding) check calculations.
This document specifies required enhancements to build Coordinated
Multicast Trees (CMT) within the TRILL campus to solve related RPF
issues.  CMT, which only requires a software upgrade, provides
flexibility to RBridges in selecting a desired path of association to
a given TRILL multi-destination distribution tree.  This document
updates RFC 6325.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC