Subject: [trill] Protocol Action: 'TRILL: Interface Addresses APPsub-TLV' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 13:53:48 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL: Interface Addresses APPsub-TLV'
  (draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies a TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots
   of Links) IS-IS application sub-TLV that enables the reporting by a
   TRILL switch of sets of addresses. Each set of addresses reports all
   of the addresses that designate the same interface (port) and also
   reports the TRILL switch by which that interface is reachable. For
   example, a 48-bit MAC (Media Access Control) address, IPv4 address,
   and IPv6 address can be reported as all corresponding to the same
   interface reachable by a particular TRILL switch. Such information
   could be used in some cases to synthesize responses to or by-pass the
   need for the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), the IPv6 Neighbor
   Discovery (ND) protocol, or the flooding of unknown MAC addresses.

Working Group Summary

Working Group discussions indicate that this 
new application sub-tlv for TRILL ISIS was the best solution. 
This is part of the directory services set of drafts. 

Document Quality

 with directory services.  The four drafts are: 
 draft-ietf-trill-directory-assist-mechanisms () - describes the push/pull
 draft-ietf-trill-channel-tunnel-05 - secure tunnel for directory push
 draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv-05 - reporting of addresses for TRILL interfaces
    in ISIS application sub-TLV (reduces/replaces need for ARP/ND )
 draft-ietf-trill-arp-optimization - mechanism to optimize ARP and ND traffic
    on TRILL campus 

  Directory service mechanism are currently implemented as proprietary 
  fashions by every vendor that does some variant of TRILL (cisco, brocade, Huawei
  and others).  Until we get a full standard solution approved, the 
  existing vendors with "early TRILL" implementations have little reason
  to switch. 

  Huawei is planning implementations. Potentially Brocade and Cisco
  could switch to these mechanisms, but unless IETF standards are out
  as a set - this may not occur.   

  Shepherd's review resulted in simplification of section 2. 

  No MIB, Media type or other expert review. 

Personnel

 Document shepherd: Susan Hares
WG Chairs: Jon Hudson and Susan Hares
Area Director: Alia Atlas