Subject: [trill] Protocol Action: 'TRILL Distributed Layer 3 Gateway' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-irb-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 17:29:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL Distributed Layer 3 Gateway'
  (draft-ietf-trill-irb-14.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-irb/

Technical Summary

TRILL provides optimum routing for layer 2 traffic. A centralized
gateway solution is typically used for layer 3 inter-subnet traffic
forwarding in a TRILL campus but has the following issues:
   1. Sub-optimum forwarding paths for inter-subnet traffic.
   2. A centralized gateway may need to support a very large number of
      gateway interfaces in a data center, one per tenant per data
      label used by that tenant, to provide interconnect functionality
      for all the layer 2 virtual networks in a TRILL campus.
   3. A traffic bottleneck at the gateway.

This document specifies an optional TRILL distributed gateway solution
that resolves these centralized gateway issues.

Working Group Summary

   There has been good support from the working group to advance this
   work. There have been no changes in the concept or basic
   architecture since it was adopted as a WG draft.

   This document isn't strictly in the charter, but there was support and
   it is a useful idea.  I asked the IESG about a year ago, when I was consulted
   and read it, whether it was better to progress as an AD-sponsored draft or
   as a WG draft and there was agreement for it to go as a WG draft with the
   associated review.

Document Quality

   This document is of high quality. It has received numerous reviews
   including the RTG DIR QA review here:
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/trill/current/msg07133.html
   Implementations are planned by IPinfusion and Huawei.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd:  Donald Eastlake
   Responsible Area Director:  Alia Atlas
  WG Chairs: Jon Hudson, Sue Hares