Subject: [trill] Protocol Action: 'TRILL: Appointed Forwarders' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-rfc6439bis-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:39:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL: Appointed Forwarders'
  (draft-ietf-trill-rfc6439bis-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-rfc6439bis/

Technical Summary

   TRILL supports multi-access LAN (Local Area Network) links where a
   single link can have multiple end stations and TRILL switches
   attached.  Where multiple TRILL switches are attached to a link,
   native traffic to and from end stations on that link is handled by a
   subset of those TRILL switches called "Appointed Forwarders", with
   the intent that native traffic in each VLAN be handled by at most one
   TRILL switch.  This document clarifies and updates the Appointed
   Forwarder mechanism. It updates RFC 6325, updates RFC 7177, and
   obsoletes RFC 6439.

Working Group Summary

   WG has discussed this for 2 years.  
  The consensus seemed reasonable.   

Document Quality

   There are no existing implementations, but Huawei plans to implement this draft.

Personnel

   Document shephered: Susan Hares
   Responsible AD: Alia Atlas