Subject: [trill] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication-12: (with COMMENT)

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 13:27:52 -0800

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication-12: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

TRILL is pretty far outside my area of expertise, so I might be simply
misunderstanding the protocol extension model here, but it seems to me that the
changes to the RPF port calculation represent a formal update to RFC6325. If
so, the metadata and abstract should indicate that.

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:40:33 -0500

Hi Adam,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 4:27 PM, Adam Roach <[email-masked]> wrote:
>...

That's an interesting point which no one else has raised. I'm not sure
that "the changes to the RPF port calculation represent a formal
update to RFC6325". The RPF calculation is still done in generally the
same way based on the point where the packets are injected into the
distribution tree -- it's just that with centralized replication it is
injected at a tree root rather than an edge node. However, the
unicasting of multi-destination TRILL data frames from an edge node
where they were ingressed to the tree root from which they will be
distributed does appear to clearly and directly contradict RFC6325 so
I guess this draft does update RFC 6325...

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]