Subject: [trill] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication-12: (with COMMENT)

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 06:13:19 -0800

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication-12: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

   if a triple of {ingress nickname, tree, receiving RBridge port} is
   allowed. (The tree is indicted by the nickname of its root which is
   stored in the TRILL Header "egress nickname" field.) When
I think this probably should be "indicated"

7. Centralized replication forwarding process
This diagram would be helpful earlier

                     *   ----------*-------------*--    ^
                     ***************************** |     ^
              LAALP1 *                      LAALP2 |      ^
What are the asterisks?

   equals (m mod k) as egress nickname for BUM traffic unicast TRILL
   encapsulation.
This text might be easier to read as:

"For data label ID m, choose R-nickname = m mod k"

The "equals" isn't that helpful here, but if you wanted to say it that way, you might try
"choose the R-nickname n which is equal to m (mod k)"

            o C = If C flag is one, it indicates that the TRILL traffic
   with this nickname as an ingress nickname that requires the special
Nit: I would use ":" here instead of equals

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 22:52:34 -0500

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your comments.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...

Thanks, that was fixed in the -12 version.

> This diagram would be helpful earlier

The asterisks are intended to show the connection of CE1 to RB1, RB2, and RB3.

> "choose the R-nickname n which is equal to m (mod k)"

Well, its not the R-nickname=m mod K but rather that, as stated in
point 1 immediately above the point 2 we are talking about, m mod k
give the number of the R-nickname in the ordered and numbered list.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 19:58:18 -0800

> Thanks, that was fixed in the -12 version.

OK.

> The asterisks are intended to show the connection of CE1 to RB1, RB2, and

That's what I thought. Perhaps it would be useful to say, however.

> give the number of the R-nickname in the ordered and numbered list.

Fair enough. Perhaps
"Choose the R-nickname whose index is given by m mod k"?

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 00:32:32 -0500

Hi Eric,

> "Choose the R-nickname whose index is given by m mod k"?

Something like that would probably be an improvement in wording.

Thanks,
Donald