Subject: [trill] Shepherd's report on draft-ietf-trill-ecn-support-04

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 10:18:29 -0500

As part of the shepherd's duties, I've review
draft-ietf-trill-ecn-support-04.txt to determine if it is ready for
publication. 

Status: Ready with editorial nits 

General comment:  I'm thrilled to see an RBridge specification enacting aids
for advanced congestion control mechanisms. 

What I've checked: normative references including
draft-ietf-twvwg-enc-encap-guidelines-01/txt

Editorial nits are below.  You can adopt or ignore the editorial nits. 

Sue Hares

===========

Editorial nits: 

General - it may be helpful to specify section in the [ECNencapGuide] -
document, and RFC7567.  While the way you specify it is correct, it may help
the reader to narrow down the scope within the document. 

#1 

   Explicit congestion notification (ECN [RFC3168
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3168> ]) allows a forwarding
   element, such as a router, to notify downstream devices, including
   the destination, of the onset of congestion without having to drop
   packets. 

The multiple commons in this sentence do not lend to easy reading of the
initial sentence. 

One alternative is: 

   Explicit congestion notification (ECN [RFC3168
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3168> ]) allows a forwarding
   Element (such as a router) to notify downstream devices, including
   the destination, of the onset of congestion without having to drop
   packets. 

However you may wish to revise the sentence in an alternative way. 

#2 - Section 2. Paragraph 2. Sentences 4 

Old/Extesnion Flags Word./

New/Extension Flags Word./

#3 - Section 3.3 is dense and thoughtful text.  I am not sure you can
improve it, but it too me several reads to make sure I understood it
correctly.