Subject: [tsv-area] Fairness, holding back the ECN Nonce & re-ECN drafts

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:18:12 +0000

tsvwg & tsv-area folks,

In tsvwg at the IETF last Jun, Aaron Falk, Mark Handley and others asked
me to try to side-step being dragged into the protocol details of re-ECN
by the IETF process, given re-ECN is primarily an architectural change
(despite being a relatively minor implementation change). They wanted me
to first answer the question, "What is the architectural
intent?".

Given Lars has set up TSV-AREA, we're using that for discussion of the
architectural issues, but still progressing the protocol details in
TSVWG. Splitting the conversation isn't ideal but it's better than what
we had, so to pull it all back together below I've collected together
announcements of the drafts we've posted in both cases:

* On architecture (to be presented in tsv-area), I have produced a draft
that doesn't quite give the full intent, but it explains what is wrong
with the current Internet (and briefly explains how re-ECN allows us to
move forward). The second (architectural) half of the re-ECN draft below
should make more sense after reading this.

"Flow Rate Fairness: Dismantling a Religion"

<draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-00.pdf>

This is also an extremely important deconstruction of current ideas in
its own right.

* On protocol details (to be presented in tsvwg) we have also updated the
re-ECN draft, particularly to explain better why we believe the ECN nonce
should be held back from proposed standard (Appendix I).

Also, we've added brief guidelines on how re-ECN would be added to DCCP
& SCTP transports (as well as TCP which is the main focus of the
draft)

"Re-ECN: Adding Accountability for Causing Congestion to
TCP/IP"

<draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-03.txt>

---------------------

For everyone's convenience, links to other formats and to diffs relative
to previous drafts can be found via my publications page for both of the
above:

<http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/B.Briscoe/pubs.html#rateFairDis>

<http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/B.Briscoe/pubs.html#retcp>

Bob

____________________________________________________________________________

Notice: This contribution is the personal view of the author and does not
necessarily reflect the technical nor commercial direction of BT
plc.

____________________________________________________________________________

Bob
Briscoe,
Networks Research Centre, BT Research

B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5
3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196