Subject: [tsv-area] consensus call on liaison response to ITU-T SG 13

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:42:50 +0200

Hi,

in August, the IETF Routing and Transport Areas have received a  
liaison statement from ITU-T SG 13 on "Requirements for support of  
stateful flow-aware transport technology in Next Generation  
Networks" (https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/liaison_detail.cgi? 
detail_id=253). The ITU has requested a liaison response by October 16.

During the last IESG telechat, the IESG has come to consensus on the  
liaison response included below. We would like to ask the routing and  
transport community for a wider consensus call on this liaison  
response. Please send your comments until October 14.

Thanks,
Lars

---<snip>---

We would like to thank ITU-T SG 13 Question 4 to bring our attention  
to its work on "Requirements for the Support of Stateful Flow-Aware  
Transport Technology in Next Generation Networks (Y.flowreq)". We  
appreciate that the ITU-T is cooperating with the IETF when their  
Recommendations on Next Generation Networks involve IETF standards.

We note that although Y.1221 itself was previously fully based on  
existing IETF standards, Amendment 2 to Y.1221 from November 2005 and  
Y.flowreq propose significant and fundamental changes to the Internet  
architecture and several of its core protocols and mechanisms. These  
include new congestion control methods, new authentication and  
authorization procedures, new signaling schemes and new methods for  
routing and traffic security. We appreciate that you are bringing  
these ideas to the IETF.

When extensions to IETF protocols are made within the IETF, the  
normal IETF process includes IETF-wide expert review followed by  
review and approval by the IESG. This process attempts to ensure that  
extensions will conform to the applicable architectural principles  
and technical criteria.

For extensions to IETF protocols proposed outside the IETF, the IESG  
has recently approved [XXX not yet] draft-carpenter-protocol- 
extensions [1] to be published as an RFC. This document defines  
guideline procedures for cooperation between the IETF and outside  
entities on the extension of IETF protocols. These guidelines are  
based on successful interactions between the IETF and other SDOs,  
including ITU-T, in diverse technical areas including IPv6, MPLS,  
GMPLS, NSIS, RSVP, and SIP.

We recommend that these guidelines form the basis for the cooperation  
between the IETF and ITU-T with regards to Y.flowreq and invite those  
promoting flow-state-aware forwarding to bring their ideas to the  
IETF in the form of Internet Drafts and perhaps presentations, so  
that they can be discussed by the full body of experts in the areas  
it covers. We are pleased that some proponents of flow-state-aware  
forwarding have asked about the possibility of discussing the ideas  
at the next IETF meeting. We encourage them to come and participate.

[1] S. Bradner, B. Carpenter and T. Narten. Procedures for protocol  
extensions and variations. Internet Draft draft-carpenter-protocol- 
extensions (Work in Progress), September 2006.
-- 
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 06:52:27 -0400 (EDT)

might mention that the carpenter-protocol ID was developed 
with considerable help from teh ITU folk

Scott

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:20:20 -0400 (EDT)

wfm

--
>From [email-masked]  Thu Oct  5 11:18:25 2006
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:42:50 +0200
Cc: Ross Callon <[email-masked]>,
	Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>,
	"Bill C. Fenner" <[email-masked]>,
	Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Subject: consensus call on liaison response to ITU-T SG 13

--===============0285970965==
Content-Type: multipart/signed; micalg=sha1; boundary=Apple-Mail-60--798339238;
	protocol="application/pkcs7-signature"

--Apple-Mail-60--798339238
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hi,

Thanks,
Lars

---<snip>---

--Apple-Mail-60--798339238
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Type: application/pkcs7-signature;
	name=smime.p7s
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename=smime.p7s

--Apple-Mail-60--798339238--

--===============0285970965==
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

--===============0285970965==--

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:28:44 -0400

wfmt

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:13:52 +0200

> detail_id=253). The ITU has requested a liaison response by October  

FYI, the ITU has kindly created a common login that IETF participants  
can use to access the relevant documents on http://ftp3.itu.ch/ 
sg13sdo/IETF/:

	login = sg13sdo
	password = Xchangesg13 (case sensitive)

Lars

---

From: Chris Liljenstolpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:43:32 +0800

The liaison response looks good to me.

	Chris

On 05 Oct 2006, at 18.42 , Lars Eggert wrote:

> During the last IESG telechat, the IESG has come to consensus on  
> the liaison response included below. We would like to ask the  
> routing and transport community for a wider consensus call on this  
> liaison response. Please send your comments until October 14.
>
> Thanks,
> Lars
>
> ---<snip>---
>
> We would like to thank ITU-T SG 13 Question 4 to bring our  
> attention to its work on "Requirements for the Support of Stateful  
> Flow-Aware Transport Technology in Next Generation Networks  
> (Y.flowreq)". We appreciate that the ITU-T is cooperating with the  
> IETF when their Recommendations on Next Generation Networks involve  
> IETF standards.
>
> existing IETF standards, Amendment 2 to Y.1221 from November 2005  
> and Y.flowreq propose significant and fundamental changes to the  
> Internet architecture and several of its core protocols and  
> mechanisms. These include new congestion control methods, new  
> authentication and authorization procedures, new signaling schemes  
> and new methods for routing and traffic security. We appreciate  
> that you are bringing these ideas to the IETF.
>
> review and approval by the IESG. This process attempts to ensure  
> that extensions will conform to the applicable architectural  
> principles and technical criteria.
>
> For extensions to IETF protocols proposed outside the IETF, the  
> IESG has recently approved [XXX not yet] draft-carpenter-protocol- 
> We recommend that these guidelines form the basis for the  
> cooperation between the IETF and ITU-T with regards to Y.flowreq  
> and invite those promoting flow-state-aware forwarding to bring  
> their ideas to the IETF in the form of Internet Drafts and perhaps  
> presentations, so that they can be discussed by the full body of  
> experts in the areas it covers. We are pleased that some proponents  
> of flow-state-aware forwarding have asked about the possibility of  
> discussing the ideas at the next IETF meeting. We encourage them to  
> come and participate.
>
>

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:02:16 +0900

> with considerable help from teh ITU folk

How's this change to the fourth paragraph:

For extensions to IETF protocols proposed outside the IETF, the IESG  
has recently approved draft-carpenter-protocol-extensions [1] to be  
published as an RFC. This document, created with considerable help  
from ITU-T representatives, defines guideline procedures for  
cooperation between the IETF and outside entities on the extension of  
IETF protocols. These guidelines are based on successful interactions  
between the IETF and other SDOs, including ITU-T, in diverse  
technical areas including IPv6, MPLS, GMPLS, NSIS, RSVP, and SIP.

Lars

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:41:16 +0900

Hi,

I'd like to thank everybody for the comments on the liaison response  
to the ITU-T SG 13. A very slightly modified version that  
incorporates the suggestions I have received was just posted as  
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/liaison_detail.cgi?detail_id=272

Lars