Subject: [tsv-area] Transport Area Directorate reformed

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:53:38 +0900

Hi,

Magnus and me have recently reformed the Transport Area Directorate.
Please join us in welcoming the current members:

	Bernard Aboba         Mark Allman
         David Black           Scott Bradner
	Marshall Eubanks      Sally Floyd
         Allison Mankin        Matt Mathis
         Colin Perkins         Hannes Tschofenig

The Transport Area Directorate is an advisory group of transport
experts selected by the Transport Area Directors.

The notion of a directorate is defined in RFC 2418 as follows:
"In many areas, the Area Directors have formed an advisory group or
directorate. These comprise experienced members of the IETF and the
technical community represented by the area. The specific name and
the details of the role for each group differ from area to area,
but the primary intent is that these groups assist the Area
Director(s), e.g., with the review of specifications produced in
the area."

The Transport Area Directorate is an advisory group of transport
experts selected by the Transport Area Directors. The directorate
is not simply a group of all Working Group Chairs in the Transport
Area - many directorate members do not have enough time or desire
to lead a Working Group, yet participate in the directorate because
of their deep expertise in transport-related fields. Individuals
who wish to join the directorate should contact the Transport Area
Directors.

The Area Directors use the feedback from the directorate when making
decisions on a range of topics related to the IETF Transport Area.
Specifically, the directorate is involved in the following activities:

    Review of selected documents within the Transport Area. When deemed
    necessary, the ADs will consult the directorate during Working Group
    Last Call of selected documents within the Transport Area.

    Review of selected documents during IETF Last Call or under IESG
    review. When deemed necessary, the Area Directors will consult the
    directorate while forming their opinion on selected documents being
    under review by the IESG.

    Technical advisory function. Members of the Directorate may be asked
    to provide consultation to or - more formally - serve as Technical
    Advisors in Working Groups within the Transport Area as well as
    other areas within the IETF. Members of the directorate may also
    be asked to contribute their expertise to transport-related liaison
    work with other standards organizations.

    Review of new and updated Working Group charters. When deemed
    necessary, the Area Directors will consult the directorate regarding
    proposals for creation of new WGs or when existing WGs are being
    rechartered. Directorate members may also be consulted during the
    evaluation of BOFs.

The directorate is not a formal review body; the IESG has that role.
Therefore, comments made by the directorate have no more weight
than those made by individual IETF participants. The directorate
is best thought of as a convenient way to contact a group of transport
experts within the IETF.

The directorate can be reached at [email-masked].

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories