Subject: [tsv-area] SACK deployment?

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:29:58 +0100

Hi TSVers,

I'm trying to find out the percentage of hosts connected to the  
internet that has SACK enabled. Unfortunately, the most recent studies  
in this area that I can find are from 2003 and 2004, which cite  
percentages of 80 to 90 and this one from 2005 http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1064413.1064418 
  that says 68%.

A quick tcpdump run on my web server gives me 98%. I would love to  
know if this is the general state of affairs for SACK these days or if  
I'm just attracting a SACK-heavy crowd.

---

From: Matt Mathis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:36:25 -0500 (EST)

Your numbers are consistent with the speculation.  Nearly all OS's have 
supported SACK for some time now (multiple product release cycles), EXCEPT the 
BSD family (including OS X) which did so much more recently.   They were the 
last large holdout.

I am sure that someone on the list can tell you the OS X version and release 
date that first supported SACK.    I don't know the statuses of the smaller 
BSDs.

Thanks,
--MM--
-------------------------------------------
Matt Mathis     http://staff.psc.edu/mathis
Work:412.268.3319    Home/Cell:412.654.7529
-------------------------------------------
Evil is defined by mortals who think they know
"The Truth" and use force to apply it to others.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Hi TSVers,
>
> I'm trying to find out the percentage of hosts connected to the internet that 
> has SACK enabled. Unfortunately, the most recent studies in this area that I 
> can find are from 2003 and 2004, which cite percentages of 80 to 90 and this 
> one from 2005 http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1064413.1064418 that says 
> 68%.
>
> A quick tcpdump run on my web server gives me 98%. I would love to know if 
> this is the general state of affairs for SACK these days or if I'm just 
> attracting a SACK-heavy crowd.