Subject: storm WG - Vancouver Mini-BOF results

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:47:29 -0500

As the storm WG session in Vancouver was organized as an exploratory Mini-BOF
on RDMA/IP,  I thought I'd pass this report along to these wider Transport Area
lists.  For background, please see the agenda (there is background material
at the end of the agenda):
	https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/88/materials.html#tsv
(scroll down to STORM - slides are also posted there).

I would also be remiss if I did not credit my storm co-chair, Tom Talpey, for
doing the bulk of the work to organize this session.

Thanks,
--David

-----Original Message-----

The Vancouver storm WG session was a productive RDMA/IP Mini-BOF - I'd
like to thank the presenters and participants.

The minutes are now posted at:
	http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/88/minutes/minutes-88-storm

Please send any corrections to me (and the list if you think they're
important).

Here are the three conclusions from the Mini-BOF:

(1) There are opportunities for IBTA/IETF collaboration on topics related
to Routable RoCE as the IBTA continues their activity to specify it.  The
storm WG chairs (David Black, Tom Talpey) will continue to explore
collaboration possibilities with Diego Crupnicoff (IBTA) and report
back as appropriate.

(2) There was a lot of interest in the room in congestion control.  IETF
congestion control work is best done in other WGs in a general fashion,
as opposed to designing a congestion control mechanism specific to RDMA.
OTOH, RDMA is a fine source of requirements for congestion control.
People interested in congestion control should follow up directly with
other IETF WGs that are doing congestion control work, e.g., aqm, rmcat.

(3) It makes sense to continue to enhance iWARP to obtain functional
parity with InfiniBand - this provides RDMA transport choice at upper
layers (commonality at RDMA verbs interface and above).  An Internet-Draft
that specifies the remaining necessary enhancements to iWARP is expected
soon, and will be directed to the storm WG.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

---

From: Matt Mathis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:31:29 -0800

Re congestion control

You might draft somebody from the remy project (http://web.mit.edu/remy/)
to make a presentatation.   The point being that machine learning can be
used to design domain specific congestion control that substantially
outperforms standard algorithms.

As far as I am concerned the big issue is the extent to which the behavior
can be guaranteed to be sane when outside of its designed operating region.

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat privacy and
security as matters of life and death, because for some users, they are.