Subject: [Tsv-art] Fwd: Flood of subscription requests to IETF mailing lists

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 00:01:14 -0500

Hi, Wes,

This popped up on the WGChairs mailing list last week - hope it helps!

Spencer

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Suresh Krishnan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Aug 25, 2015 17:20
Subject: Flood of subscription requests to IETF mailing lists
To: "WG Chairs" <[email-masked]>
Cc:

Hi all,
   One of the lists I moderate was inundated with a flood of subscribe
messages from emails of the pattern

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

Two other moderators and I cleared up about 60 of these requests by
discarding manually but they kept coming. Looking for a better solution
to the problem, we found a ban_list in the Privacy options for the
mailman lists. This ban_list allows a regex for people who will
automatically be banned from joining. I added the following emails to
the ban_list and the flood stopped.

^kemo\[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

I heard there are other lists that are having the same problems. Hope
this can help.

Thanks
Suresh