Subject: [Tsv-art] Comments requested on DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT Transport AD position description

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 20:25:13 -0500

Dear Transport Area Chairs, Area Review Team, and Triage Team (basically,
anyone we invite to the TSV dinner on Monday nights) ...

Mirja and I are working on an updated Transport AD position description
that Nomcom will use to select a candidate to replace me next March.

She and I are still typing, but we'd like to get any comments that pop into
your mind by next Thursday, June 7, so that Mirja and I can include your
thoughts in our input, which we'd like to finalize by next Friday, June 8.

Please note that this is the TSV-specific part of the description. The IESG
is making minimal changes to the generic AD description from last year,
which you can see at https://datatracker.ietf.org/nomcom/2017/expertise/,
so if something is in the generic description, it won't be in the
TSV-specific description.

If you'd like to see what the TSV-specific part of the description looked
like last year, it's also at that link, but we've changed too much for
diffs to be useful.

If you Google Doc, a link for comments is at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17LxDRzMmux0sOztCajSKYBxBB7zXEkijrPItsUF9XOg/edit?usp=sharing
.

If you don't, the text as of this moment follows.

Thanks,

Spencer, who thinks he is morally obligated to serve on the TSV Triage
team, because that seems to be where all the TSV ADs end up sooner or later
...

Transport

Together, the Transport Area Directors are expected to effectively charter,
manage and review current and new transport work, including congestion
signaling and reporting, Quality of Service (QoS, including Differentiated
Services and reservation signaling), and congestion control for
unresponsive flows, NAT regularization and specification, storage protocols
for the Internet, performance metrics for Internet paths, experimentation
with congestion control schemes developed in the IRTF, unicast and
multipath extensions to existing transport protocols, and congestion
control algorithms for interactive real time media.

Together, the Transport ADs should have a broad understanding of core
end-to-end transport topics and how transport technologies interact with
network-layer technologies and protocols, and with various
application-layer protocols, but they are not expected to be experts on all
or even most of these topics, Rather, they are expected to work well with
Transport Area participants who are experts, and to have enough familiarity
with the principles involved to exercise their own good judgment about what
should be done and why.

Together, the Transport ADs are expected to organize their workload, e.g.,
document review, email discussions as follow-up of document review, IESG
emails, WG management, etc, in such a way that the average workload for
each AD is about 15 to 20 hours per week.

Transport ADs manage and recruit volunteers in order to maintain the
Transport Area Document Review Triage Team (“TSV triage team”) and the
Transport Area Review Team (TSV-ART).The TSV triage team provides support
for the ADs by assigning document reviews to TSV-ART, and TSV-ART provides
reviews on request and during Last Call that can be used by the Transport
ADs as input for their ballot positions. The Transport ADs may delegate any
tasks that can be delegated, but the ADs themselves still have ultimate
responsibility to ensure that transport considerations are appropriately
taken into account during IESG Evaluation.

Based on current discussions about ossification of transport protocols and
stack evolution, basic knowledge about security and privacy, encapsulation
and tunneling, and higher layer protocols including web technologies as
well as having an overall architectural view can be of value.

Because Transport Area working groups often have common interests with IRTF
research groups, especially ICCRG, MAPRG, and PANRG, familiarity with these
research groups is helpful. Having at least one Transport Area AD with some
background in the broader research community is also helpful.