Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-limited-xmit-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:37:20 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Enhancing TCP's Loss Recovery Using Limited Transmit
	Author(s)	: M. Allman, H. Balakrishnan, S. Floyd
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-limited-xmit-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 23-Aug-00
	
This document proposes a new TCP mechanism that can be used to more
effectively recover lost segments when a connection's congestion
window is small, or when a large number of segments are lost in a
single transmission window.  The 'Limited Transmit' algorithm
calls for sending a new data segment in response to each of the
first two duplicate acknowledgments that arrive at the sender.
Transmitting these segments increases the probability that TCP can
recover from a single lost segment using the fast retransmit
algorithm, rather than using a costly retransmission timeout.
Limited Transmit can be used both in conjunction with, and in the
absence of, the TCP selective acknowledgment (SACK) mechanism
[RFC2018].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-limited-xmit-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-limited-xmit-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-limited-xmit-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.